fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "million dollars" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "accredited attorney" (Barristers (lawyers) mentioned in 419 scams are always fake.)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- firstname.lastname@example.org (Laposte; can be used from anywhere worldwide)
Fraud email example:
From: " FROM Ms Bella " <email@example.com>
Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2016 23:58:25 +0100
Subject: United Nations Compensation Commission(UNCC)
UNITED NATIONS ORGANIZATION
Office of The Director Special duties.
In regards to the recent meeting between the United Nations and the Present United States Government to restore the dignity and Economy of the Nations. Base on the Agreement with the World Bank Assistance to help and make the world a better place for all with the sole aim of abolishing poverty.
You may not understand why this mail came to you. We have been helding meetings for past 7 months which just ended few days ago with the secretary of UNITED NATIONS.
This email is to all the people that have been fraud victim in any part of the world, the UNITED NATIONS IN Affiliation with WORLD BANK have agreed to compensate you with the sum of $2,500, 000.00 Million Dollars: for self support to help individuals to own a self charity organization also for you to build your Personal Company/organization so as to help the less privileged in there society due to the financial crisis.
This includes every foreign contractors that may have not received their contract, inheritance & lotto sum, and people that have had an unfinished transaction or international business that failed due to Government problems etc. We found your name in the list of those who are to benefit from these compensation exercise and that is why we are contacting you,this have been approved and signed.
Your E-mail Address was drawn automatically on web directory through an E-mail ballot machine, you are qualified to receive the above mentioned compensation payment..
that's why this mail was sent to you,
We are compensating you as it is stipulated in Section B act 4 of United Nations Compensation Commission(UNCC) guide lines and regulations of 08/04/2003
Our accredited attorney have already pay in your fund with CGTrust Bank LTD, have you received your compensation from the bank? if no you have to contact the Bank immediately for your login name and the pin code of your online account and to transfer your fund directly to any of your account.
Send to the Bank your contacts information address to update your account profile.
This is the contact of the Bank below:
Citizen Guaranty Trust Bank LTD
We will be waiting to hear from you as soon as you transfer your fund to your account to share the joy together with you, Let me know as soon as you heard from the Bank.
Elder Daniel Victor.