fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "barrister" (Barristers (lawyers) mentioned in 419 scams are always fake.)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- Barristers (lawyers) mentioned in 419 scams are always fake.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- email@example.com (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
Fraud email example:
From: Tan Kim Chheng<firstname.lastname@example.org>
Date: Sun, 31 Jul 2016 01:50:38 +0700
Subject: Charitable Project Offer
I want to entrust a donation to you for charitable project to handle on my behalf, I was diagnosed of cancer 24months ago before the death of my late husband, I will be undergoing surgical operation in due time which i pray to survive it. I want the philanthropist work of my late husband to be continue, but because of my health condition i will not be able to handle the work myself that is why I am willing to hand it over to you to do with the sum of $12,520,000.00 USD, to create shelter for widowers, less privilege and poor people in your community. I have earlier informed my lawyer about my decision willing the money to you for charitable purpose.
If you know that you are seriously interested to handle the charitable project, then kindly contact my Lawyer Mr. Ratha Sokleng with this E-Mail Address: email@example.com Call any of his personal private phone number +85570374330 +855978583820. Ensure that you send a message with my reference; KHMR/TAN1/NOB70 to him.
Thank you for your understanding.
Tan Kim Chheng