fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "western union" (this will cost you money - be careful with upfront payments to anyone you only know through email, especially if they promise you a lot of money. NEVER send money by Western Union or MoneyGram to people you do not know personally - NO EXCEPTIONS! Instant wire transfer services are not meant to be used with strangers because they offer no protection against fraud. That is precisely why the criminals want you send money that way. )
- "money gram" (this will cost you money - be careful with upfront payments to anyone you only know through email, especially if they promise you a lot of money. NEVER send money by Western Union or MoneyGram to people you do not know personally - NO EXCEPTIONS! Instant wire transfer services are not meant to be used with strangers because they offer no protection against fraud. That is precisely why the criminals want you send money that way. )
- "await your urgent response" (scammers rush victims so they don't have time to think properly)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- Western Union money transfer is completely untraceable and therefore is *not* safe to use with anyone you do not know personally. It is the preferred method of online criminals to collect money from their victims.
Fraud email example:
From: "Mr James Marvin" (may be fake)
Date: Sun, 7 Aug 2016 20:50:56 +0100
Subject: Would you like to work online from Home/Temporarily?
Would you like to work online from Home/Temporarily.
We are glad to offer you a job position without paying for application.
Our Company H. Seal & Company Ltd are into fabric manufacturer of high quality woven and knitted, elastic and rigid webbing for the orthopaedic, equestrian, footwear, body armour and automotive markets. with numerous customers home and abroad. We need a representative in the Asia, Japan, china, Europe, South Africa, USA, CA, and Australia. who will be in charge of all our payment from clients/customers in Asia, Europe, Canada, and Usa
Your tasks are:
1. Receive payment from our Customers through mail: (DHL, FEDEX, UPS OR OTHER FORM OF DELEIEVERY)
2. Cash it at your Bank
3. Deduct 10% which will be your percentage/pay on Payment processed
4. Forward balance after deduction of percentage/pay to any of the offices
you will be contacted to send payment to.
Payment is to be forwarded either by Money Gram or Western Union Money or Bank
Transfer. A local Money transfer takes barely hours, so it will give us a possibility to get customer payment almost immediately.
Kindly provide us with the requested details below if you are interested.
present or prev job:
Can you Check email at least twice Daily?
You are to respond to this offer by clicking reply to this message and filling the required information where necessary.
We await your urgent response.
We look forward to working with you.
H. Seal & Company Ltd
Church Lane, Whitwick Coalville
Leicestershire LE67 5DH - UK