fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "dumorrage" (this will cost you money - be careful with upfront payments to anyone you only know through email, especially if they promise you a lot of money. NEVER send money by Western Union or MoneyGram to people you do not know personally - NO EXCEPTIONS! Instant wire transfer services are not meant to be used with strangers because they offer no protection against fraud. That is precisely why the criminals want you send money that way. )
- "the consignment" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "trunk box" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "consignment " (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "trunk boxes" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "the diplomat " ("diplomats" who perform deliveries of cash or other valuables to you only exist in 419 scams)
- "a diplomat " ("diplomats" who perform deliveries of cash or other valuables to you only exist in 419 scams)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- firstname.lastname@example.org (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
- to me via my direct email with your informations: (email@example.com) or (firstname.lastname@example.org) yours (Gmail; can be used from anywhere worldwide)
Fraud email example:
From: "Mrs. Toni Conde" (may be fake)
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2016 17:08:28 -0700
Subject: RE: UNITED NATION COMPENSATION COMMISSION.
Phoenix-Mesa Gateway Airport
INSPECTION UNIT, Arizona USA.
Address: Sossaman Rd. Suit 109, Mesa Arizona AZ.
I am MRS. Toni Conde, Chief Inspection Agent- United Nations Inspection Unit at Phoenix-Mesa Gateway International airport, Arizona (AZ)- working hand in hand with Department of Homeland Security and U.S Customs and Border Protection. During our investigation, I discovered an abandoned shipment from a Diplomat from London, UK and when scanned it revealed an undisclosed sum of money in a Wooden trunk box weighing approximately 25kg each. The consignment was abandoned because the Content was not properly declared by the consignee as money rather it was declared as personal effect to avoid diversion by the shipping agent and also the Diplomat inability to pay for Non Inspection Fees which cost more rate fees.
On my assumption, each of the boxes will contain about $950,000.00 to $1.6 Million each and the consignment is still left in the storage house till today. The consignment are two wooden boxes with weight of about 25kg each (Internal dimension: W61 x H156 x D73 (cm). Effective capacity: 110 LBS.). Approximately, the details of the consignment including your name and address, the official document from United Nation office in London are tagged on the wooden Trunk boxes.
PLEASE KINDLY PROVIDE US THE FOLLOWING VITAL INFORMATION BELOW:
FULL HOME ADDRESS,
TO CROSS CHECK IF IT CORRESPONDS WITH THE NAME AND ADDRESS ON THE
CONSIGNMENT INCLUDING THE NAME OF NEAREST AIRPORT AROUND YOUR CITY AND OTHER DETAILS.
You can send the required details to me by email for onward delivery. All communication must be held extremely confidential with Trust.
I can get everything concluded within 5-6 hours upon your acceptance and proceed to your address for delivery if you assure me of sharing the content 30% for me / 70% with you on my arrival to your house when you received the Shippment.
I want us to transact this business with you and share the money, since the shipper has abandoned it and disappeared for about 4 years now in the Storage house. I will pay for the Non inspection fee to proctect the Fund as personal effect for the US Custom Agent not to discover the Content in the 2 boxes and arrange for the boxes to be moved out of this airport to your address by myself but you can only pay for the Dumorrage fee of $320 to Phoenix-Mesa Gateway Management for Cargo Security at the Airport.
But I will share it 30%/70% with you, IF you Sincerely Agreed with me here send me the above listed Information to cross check with what we have here if you are the real owner to avoid wrond delivery because we Notice it based on our Investigation with Home Land Security, the Fund is from UNITED NATION COMPENSATION FUND Unit from London as Contract Fund Payments,Lotto wining that has not yet paid, loss of Money and Inheritance Fund etc which the Shipper abandoned as we have many of them in the Storage House.
Note: if you dont agree with me dont send us any Information but if you trust in my words and agreed, Make sure you Respond to me via my direct EMAIL with your Informations: (InspectionUnitAz@gmail.com) or (InspectionUnit.Az_Airport@usa.com)
Mrs Toni Conde
Phoenix-Mesa Gateway Airport