fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "i will like you to " (a common phrase found in 419 scams)
- "here in united kingdom" (this email uses bad English)
- "firstname.lastname@example.org" (this email address has been used in a known scam)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- email@example.com (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
Fraud email example:
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2016 08:40:06 +0100
Subject: Vacancy vacancy vacancy !!!
This message is a medium we are using to inform you about a Job Offer Vacancy as a Payment Representative of our Company.
Our Company is a UNITED KINGDOM Based Company that has no Industry and Offices in, USA and some other parts of the world.
This offer is true and harmless we want you to be our Payment Accountant Officer to help us receive funds from our Clients via BANK WIRE TRANSFER and I must tell you we run a legitimate business and our company is registered and verified in UNITED KINGDOM.
We have lots of Foreign clients in USA that are willing to order products from our company and we have this big problem with payment processing, what I mean is that our clients in USA make payment either to our account here in UNITED KINGDOM and it takes over 2 weeks for funds to get into our Bank Account in essence our customer order is been delayed due to this tiny problem, so we have decided to work with a Middle person in USA that we can trust, Someone who will work as Payment Accountant Officer in USA that will receive funds into his/her account via Wire Transfer or Check in USA which will take less than 24hrs for you to get the funds and then send it to any of our offices via MONEY TRANSFER.
HOW MUCH WILL YOU EARN?
If you choose to work with us you will be paid 10% of the total sum transfered into your account though it will later increase in time.
As a part time job you will be working for only 2hrs every 2 days and you work is only from Monday to Friday, and during banking hours only.
You don't have to go out of your present daily activity in order to engage in this Job(i.e. you can do this Work easily without quitting or affecting your present Job).You will work as an independent contractor right from your home /office. Your job is absolutely legal. You do not need any capital to start (none of your personal funds is needed).
Our company will trust a lot of funds into your hand and we do want you to be honest and truthful to us as we are going to make you the manager of our coming branch in USA if you work with us in good faith and establish a strong working relationship with us.
To move ahead I will like you to provide me with the below listed details so that I can send to you the Letter of Appointment which certify you legally work for our company and we shall continue from there after which we have made you our Payment Accountant Officer.
Complete Home Address:
Home Tel Number:
Fill and return this form for the job application of the position of Payment Account Officer in USA.
Contact Email : firstname.lastname@example.org
Also inform me if you understand this email and you understand your duty as our Payment Accountant Officer. For more questions do not hesitate to ask.
Waiting For your positive response
Thank You and God Bless You!
REV ERIC JOHNSON