fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "the consignment" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "consignment " (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
Fraud email example:
From: "NATIONAL BANK PLC" (may be fake)
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2016 05:21:04 -0500
Subject: Dear Friend
NATIONAL BANK OF MEXICO
BUREAU CENTER PAYMENT NOTIFICATION
OFFICE OF THE DIECTOR
(NBM) PAYMENT BUREAU CENTER.
I am Samuel Johnson , General manager to the (NBM) Payment Bureau Center. The attached picture was taken in my office where i was serving verification documents to the White men Mr Gabriel Evans and Mr Alan Mills From Ireland Republic who stormed in my office last two days ago, the Black Gentleman (on white African attire). The black man Mr Fred Paul claimed to be your representative and the supervisory Engineer that supervised and certified your money execution that was shifted from the previous Paying Institute to (NBM) Payment Bureau Center because of your inability to have paid for the Charges they required at the agreed time to get your Fund transferred into your designated account Via Wire Bank Transfer.
They said that you were dead and before your death, you appointed them as the Beneficiary/Next of Kin to your Contract & Inherited Fund in totaling ($1.5 Million USD) presently is under our custody, these two
white men and the black gentleman quickly applied that your Inherited fund should be presented to them at the spot.The Official responsible for the presentation of Consignment quickly granted approvals to their
application and packaged the fund for them so that they can go with it
through Diplomatic Channel to their destination.
When the (NBM) Payment Bureau Center Debit Note was submitted to my desk for final Approval before given it to them for endorsement, I noticed that there were discrepancies as there was no evidence of authorization letter from you for the change of Beneficiary. I urgently summoned The Official responsible for the presentation of the Consignment and directed him to stop the movement of the Funds and at the same time placed a Stop Order instruction on the funds pending when your views and comments are received with regards to this matter.
Please study the attached photograph and call me urgently for your
comments which will be highly appreciated, but we will not hesitate to
continue the payment transmission to them if no response comes from you.
Your silence will be a clear indication to us that you authorized them to
effect the above Changes .
SEND THE FOLLOWING INFORMATION TO KNOW THAT YOU ARE ALIVE:
1. FULL NAME
2. PHONE NUMBER
3. YOUR ADDRESS
4. YOUR AGE AND CURRENT OCCUPATION
5. A COPY OF YOUR INTL PASSPORT OR DRIVEN LICENSE.
6. Your Bank Account Information Details
(NBM) Payment Bureau Centre.