fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "loan amount" (Beware of fake loan offers. Real lenders would not normally use free webmail addresses such as Yahoo, nor would they lend to individuals or small businesses in a different country from where they are based. Beware of mobile phones or redirector numbers!)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- email@example.com (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
Fraud email example:
From: "Mrrs victoria adam" (may be fake)
Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2016 12:27:07 +0100
Subject: PRIVATE AND CONFIDENTIAL
I am Mr Timothy Jones
WE OFFER LOAN TO PRSPECTIVE CLIENT,
we give out loans ranging from $500,000 thousand US Dollar to $500 million USD, We are committed to a policy of equal opportunity and the development of positive policies, providing our expert financial services to everyone. We offer various loans to companies, small scale businesses and enterprises, as well as the individual consumer. Our loan packages can be either long, or short term, at your desired preference. We offer all types of loans such as educational, business, debt consolidation and project execution loans.
As an independent finance house and brokerage firm specializing in various finance strategies, we have been prominently listed as one of the top 10 fastest growing companies in UK,
Have you been denied a loan by your bank?
Wondering about how to pay your next bill?
Need a project loan?
Perhaps a business expansion loan? For whatever purpose you require a loan, whether business, personal, or debt consolidation, Finance Trackers LLC, will offer your specific loan amount at very low interest rates. Finance Trackers, LLC has served numerous businesses, organizations and individuals alike, in achieving their respective dreams by effectively granting loans without any stress.
We have been in the lending business for 10 years, and our high level of experience and expertise is indisputable in transferring loans to all our clients under the stipulated time-frame. Our various loan packages cause our satisfied and happy clients to marvel and broadcast our firms high qualities to the world.
Dont allow this wonderful financial opportunity to pass you by. We are readily poised to serve you better.
Await your swift response in this subject matter.
contact us via email
EMAIL:. [ firstname.lastname@example.org
Mr Timothy Jones
Cardinal Group Uk,
Head of Customer Service