fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- email@example.com (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
Fraud email example:
From: "Subramanian Krishnan " <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2016 15:54:16 +0300
Subject: RE: Top Urgent RFQ
Kindly send your best price _quotation with catalogue/ MSDS copy to_ the
enclosed urgent requirement =
Complete details must be in your quotation:-(incomplete quotations will
not be considered for final evaluation) =
1) Warranty period:________ =
2) Quotation Validity:________ =
3) Delivery Time : to be mentioned in your quotation - Number of Days or
4) Payment Term: ________ =
5) Delivery Term: _________ =
6) Supply of Certificate :_____ =
In your quotation our Reference Number (RFQ No) to be mentioned & OUR
_EMAIL SUBJECT_ TO BE RETAINED AS IT IS IN YOUR REPLY MAIL. =
Note: Please acknowledge our Email/RFQ - LOOK FORWARD YOUR QUOTATION
Best Regards =
Subramanian Krishnan =
Phone: +971-6-5937777 Ext. 2029 =
Fax:+971-6-5281193 / 5283887 =
Saipem Contracting Netherlands B.V. =
Sharjah Branch =
P.O. Box 1802, Port Khalid, Sharjah - UAE =
e-mail : email@example.com  =
www.saipem.com  =
This e-mail and any attachment are confidential and may be privileged
or otherwise protected from disclosure. It is solely intended for the
person(s) named above. If you are not the intended recipient, any
reading, use, disclosure, copying or distribution of all or parts of
this e-mail or associated attachments is strictly prohibited. If you are
not an intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately by
replying to this message or by telephone and delete this e-mail and any
attachments permanently from your system. =