fighting spam and scams on the Internet
Try our spam filter!
Free trial for 30 days

About Us

"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam

The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.

Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.

Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!

Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.

Click here to report a problem with this page.



Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:

Fraud email example:

Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2016 14:09:30 -0700
Subject: With Due Respect !!

With Due Respect ,

Sincerely speaking, I would want to let you know that I have been on course and based on this fact, I would want to establish a relationship, which will yield dividends in due.

Before I continue, let me introduce myself to you, I am Captain William Gaga the commander of the Special Purpose Marine Air-Ground Task Force with the United Nations troops in Nigeria, on war against terrorism.

I have now in our possession the sum of USD 2.5 million which was recovered from one of our raids on terrorists camps here in Nigeria, because they keep most of their money with them in their hideout for evil activities.

Based on the suffering we undergo here some of us do meet such luck. It happened that in our last raid last week we raided one of the terrorist strong base here in Brono State here in Nigeria and we recovered this huge sum. This box of money have been deposited with the RED CROSS OFFICE here in Nigerian informing them that contacts are been made for its safe keeping and to make contacts for its proper use . As the team leader it is under my power to approve whoever comes forth for this money.

So I need someone I can deal with on trust and that is why I contacted you. So if you accept, I will put you forward as the beneficiary/owner of the funds and then move the money to you in your continent. As military personnel I cannot parade such an amount or carry it to your country myself, so I need to present someone as the beneficiary. I just need your acceptance and all is done. I have a 100% authentic means of transferring the money through diplomatic courier service to you in your country.

If you are interested, then let me know so I can proceed to register the consignment in your name as time is very important to me. I am doing this on trust, you should understand that as a trained military expert I will always be carefully in my dealings so everything is intact. My proposal is that after you receive the funds, it would be shared as follows: (1) 30% to you as commission for your co-operation and assistance in facilitating the transfer, while the remaining 70% belongs to me and two(2) of my military colleagues and also the Chife head of the Red Cross.

You will be free to take out your commission immediately after the money hits your country. Since my objective is to invest the money in a foreign country, it would be appreciated if you could also help me with advices and direction on investing into profitable/lucrative ventures in your country for an additional 3%.

The only telephone access we have is radio message which is for our general use and is being monitored; therefore all communication will be via email till we finish our assignment here and fly straight to your country to meet you.

Please do consider my proposal and get back to me if you are interested and as this will take not less than seven(7) working days to be finalized.

Capt. William Gaga

Anti-fraud resources: