fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "courier service" (Courier companies mentioned in 419 scams are always fake. They will have you send money to them, but won't deliver anything. )
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists mobile phone numbers. Use of such numbers is typical for scams because they allow criminals to conceal their true location. They can receive calls in an Internet cafe from where they send you emails, while pretending to be in some office.
Fraud email example:
From: Uba Bank Plc <"mori-clinic2002."@tuba.ocn.ne.jp>
Reply-To: Uba Bank Plc <email@example.com>
Date: Fri, 2 Dec 2016 01:26:09 +0900 (JST)
Subject: Very Urgent and Important
Uba Bank Plc Financial Planner
Address:. ACI 2000 - Imm SIPROVET - Hamdallaye
BP E 566 - Bamako - Benin Republic
Online Banking Department
IRREVOCABLE PAYMENT ORDER VIA ATM CARD
Very Urgent and Important
This is the 3rd time i am sending you this notification letter regarding to your abandoned ATM Master Card valued sum of US $ 2.5 Million and i have not received any positive respond from you or making a suggestion on how you wish to receive your ATM Card. Once again; I am HUNK PAUL, the new director ATM Head of Operation UBA Bank Plc, I resumed to this office on the 2nd of October,2016 and during my official research I discovered an abandoned ATM Master card valued sum of $ 2.5 Million belonging to you as the rightfully intimate beneficiary.
I tried to know why this card has not been released to you but I was told by the Union management that the former director ATM head of operation who left this office four months ago withhold your card for his own personal use without knowing that his evil plans towards diverting your fund will be discovered.
Now that your ATM Master card is still available and ready for collection, therefore you can come down here to our bank to pick up your card direct from my office or alternatively it can be arranged ship to your address through any registered reliable courier service company that you will take care of the courier charge, hope it is cleared and accepted by you?
I do not know the courier cost of shipping the card to you but if you permit me and accept the terms, then I can make an inquiry from the courier shipping company to find out the cost, but in that case you will be required to forward to me your address where you want to receive the card to enable me find out the shipping cost to your location.
Your direct telephone number and address will be needed and more details of your ATM card payment will be made known to you as soon as I receive your swift positive response.
YOUR FULL NAMES
YOUR PHONE NUMBER
CELL PHONE NUMBER
YOUR OCCUPATION / POSITION HELD
Do not hesitate to call me on as soon as you read this mail.
Thanks for your co-operation and i wait for your kind positive respond.