fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "the consignment" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "consignment " (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "the diplomat " ("diplomats" who perform deliveries of cash or other valuables to you only exist in 419 scams)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- firstname.lastname@example.org (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
Fraud email example:
From: "Fish Morrison." (may be fake)
Date: Sun, 4 Dec 2016 01:28:02 -0600
Subject: ATTENTION:Notice On Your Consignment Box reg #: JG1N8875BS.
Airport Storage and Cargo Unit
Charlotte Douglas International Airport
5501 R C Josh Birmingham Pkwy, Charlotte, NC 28208,
ATTENTION:Notice On Your Consignment Box reg #: JG1N8875BS.
Today we have discovered an abandoned metal suitcase with reg code#:
JG1N8875BS, originally scheduled to be delivered to you by the agency foreign
payment service New York. This Suitcase a metal box when scanned by forensic
scanner was revealed to contain 100 dollars bills valued $2,316,000USD
(Two Million, Three Hundred and Sixteen thousand United States dollars) which
has been under Security surveillance for number of days.
I am writing to inform you that we have investigated the said Suitcase and the
investigation proved the legitimacy of its content. Note The Funds which
belongs to you was initially scheduled for delivery to your residence, The
Diplomat who arrived with the Consignment made several attempts to reach you all
efforts proved abortive so he decided to leave for his country but before he left
he settled the delivery charges and left the Storage Keeping Charges unpaid due to
the reasons that he did not know when you will attempt to claim the consignment.
Since then the consignment has been in storage and Storage Unit charges $20.00
for each day the Consignment box stays in their custody for safety keeping
and your consignment box has been there for 15 days since the day the diplomat
left for his country.
You are therefore advised to make contact with Mr. Matt Willy of All
American Courier, llc, Director of Delivery Operations to assist you recover
your Consignment box and deliver it to your home. You may contact him through
his email: (email@example.com) to recover your Consignment or
we will be compelled to list your Fund as an unclaimed forfeited funds and will
Forwarded to the United States Treasury Department for holding.
God Bless The United States of America.