fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "million dollars" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "god fearing " (scammers in West Africa like to use religious phrases)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- email@example.com (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
Fraud email example:
From: "Mrs. Keith Winnie David" <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Date: Sun, 11 Dec 2016 12:38:35 +0000
Accept my Greetings in the name of GOD Almighty the giver of every good thing.
Good day and compliments of the seasons, i know this letter will definitely come to you as a huge surprise, but I implore you to take the time to go through it carefully as the decision you make will go off a long way to determine my future and continued existence. I am Mrs. Keith Winnie David an aging widow to late Burkhard David and currently diagnosed of long time cancer of the throat and what disturbs me most is my partial paralysis.
I have some inherited funds from my late husband, the sum of US$9.5 million dollars and I needed a very honest and God fearing Person who can invest the funds in a good profitable choice of business and use the profit incomes for support of Charity and for non-privilege people as we have no child to inherit the fortunes before his demise. I contacted you after long prayers for GOD to review me well honest and reliable person that can fulfill invest the funds and use the profits according to my desire and i decided to contact you to handle these trust funds in good faith before anything happens to me during my surgery which comes up soon.
I am desperately in keen need of such service and I have summoned up courage to contact you for this task, you must not fail me and the millions of the poor people in our today's WORLD. This is no stolen money and there are no dangers involved,100% RISK FREE with full legal proof. Kindly notify me your willingness of partaking to this assignment.
Get back to me via my G-mail account ( email@example.com ) with below information's to enable my Lawyer prepare a written "WILL" in your name.
Your full name
Present Home/Office address
Contact telephone number
Country of Origin
Scan Copy Of Your Identity.
Date of birth
Mrs. Keith Winnie David