fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "registration fee" (this will cost you money - be careful with upfront payments to anyone you only know through email, especially if they promise you a lot of money. NEVER send money by Western Union or MoneyGram to people you do not know personally - NO EXCEPTIONS! Instant wire transfer services are not meant to be used with strangers because they offer no protection against fraud. That is precisely why the criminals want you send money that way. )
- "the consignment" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "consignment " (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "courier service" (Courier companies mentioned in 419 scams are always fake. They will have you send money to them, but won't deliver anything. )
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists mobile phone numbers. Use of such numbers is typical for scams because they allow criminals to conceal their true location. They can receive calls in an Internet cafe from where they send you emails, while pretending to be in some office.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- email@example.com (Post; can be used from anywhere worldwide)
- = emma ego direct phone contact +229-68 16 25 18) (firstname.lastname@example.org) (email@example.com let me repeat again, try to (Post; can be used from anywhere worldwide)
Fraud email example:
From: "Helen Ministry" <firstname.lastname@example.org> (may be fake)
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2016 23:02:56 +0600 (BDT)
Subject: ATTENTION MY DEAR,
ATTENTION MY DEAR,
This mail is to make inquiry if you are still there because i have been
receiving different kinds emails here from different individuals claiming
that you have asked them to receive your Consignment Box on your behalf,
which i am obliged to release to them, But because they do not have the
UPS Courier Service 4 digit UPS# at the right hand top corner of your
Consignment box of $9.8 MILLION EIGHT HUNDRED UNITED SATE DOLLARS)
showing that they are not from you, so therefore if you are still eager
and wish to receive your Compensated which i have now deposited with UPS
Courier Service the Key and the Box, to be delivered to you since i did
not hear from you, I am currently out of office for a business trip which
will last for 6 months for that i deposited your Compensation payment with
the UPS Courier Service.
so i advise that you go and contact the UPS Courier Delivery department as
soon as possible to know when they will deliver your Compensation
Consignment box to you. For your information, I have paid for the
necessary Charges to avoid delay in delivery and the UPS will only deliver
the KEY while Quicksilver Express Courier will deliver the Box. But you
have to pay $97.00USD for project registration of the year 2016 Again,
Dont be deceived by anybody to pay any other money except $97.00USD.for
the project registration fee of your compensation box.
Contact them with your full information to enable them deliver your
compensation Consignment box and they key and they will tell you more
better the one to be deliver first out of the Consignment box and the key
to your door step, remember that both of them will not be deliver at once
to avoid the agent access to open the box. Please note that the $97.00USD
is the only fee you are to pay to the UPS courier Service been for the
project registration fee, i repeat myself don't be deceived by anybody to
pay any other fee.
Try and make sure that you make a reasonable arrangement with the UPS
Courier Delivery department on how your Consignment box / key can be
delivered to your defined home or office address as given.
Please be careful to avoid your Consignment box being delivered to a wrong
owner due to the risk it may cause. I have notified the Delivery
department on the issue You have to contact the UPS Courier Service now
With this 4 digit number at the right hand top corner of the package (UPS
Courier Service (UPS#)as your proof of ownership and request for the
Instant delivery of your Box, please make sure you forward the following
information to them.
Your Receiving Name:...................
Your Mailing Address:.................
Your Telephone Number:................
4 DIGIT UPS Courier service UPS#)
Please avoid mistakes when providing information. Your box /key were
registered for 72hours delivery so you are to expect your box after
72hours of payment. Thank you for choosing UPS service
Dispatcher officer = Emma Ego
Direct phone contact +229-68 16 25 18)
Let me repeat again, try to contact them as soon as you receive this mail
with the UPS Courier Service 4digit 2015#)) to avoid any further delay.you
can Possibly update me once the delivery is smoothly completed.Yours
Faithfully Helen Ministry.