fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "00,000.00" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "you are advice to " (this email uses bad English)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- firstname.lastname@example.org (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
Fraud email example:
From: "Mr. Ban Ki-Moon" (may be fake)
Date: Fri, 30 Dec 2016 09:40:03 +1100
Subject: YOUR REF: WB/NF/UN/XX0L8 UNITED NATIONS.
WORLD BANK ASSISTED PROGRAMM
DIRECTORATE OF INTERNATIONAL
PAYMENT AND TRANSFERS.
DEBT RECONCILIATION/AUDIT UNIT
United Nations Headquarters,
New York, NY 10017 , USA
YOUR REF: WB/NF/UN/XX0L8 UNITED NATIONS.
This is coming to you in regards to the recent meeting between the United Nations Compensation Commission to restore the dignity and Economy of Nations based on the Agreement with the World Bank Assistance Project and the U.N Security Council.
This email come to those who are yet to receive their compensation, inheritance, winnings and who have been scammed in any part of the world, this includes every foreign contractors who have not received their contract sum, and anyone who has any unfinished transaction or Compensation payments which failed due to Government problems etc. The UNITED NATIONS have agreed to compensate you with the sum of $17, .500,000.00 (Seventeen Million five Hundred Thousand Dollars) Your email was in the list submitted by our
Monitoring Team observers and this is why we are contacting you as one of our beneficiaries.
You are advised to contact MR ANDERSON LEE immediately for your Compensation payment of $17, .500,000.00 (Seventeen Million five Hundred Thousand Dollars). which will be released directly to you in accordance with legal clearance and procedures. And mode of payment was as well specified for proper conducts and financial regulations to kick against criminality during process of payment. We have arranged your payment through our swift card centers, with the latest instruction from United Nations Office And International Monetary Fund Reconciliation Office.
OWEVER YOU ARE ADVICE TO SEND HIM YOUR FULL INFORMATION.
Current/Valid Residential Address:..........
Nominated Delivery Address:...........
Home Cell Number:......
Direct Mobile Number:......
Contact MR ANDERSON LEE immediately for your compensation payment by replying to this email or emailing the address below:
MR ANDERSON LEE.
He is obliged to treat your case with utmost urgency as soon as you contact him and fill out your correct details including all reachable phone numbers for him to get in touch with you via phone and email.For your information, you have to stop any further communication with any other person or office claiming to be the right office to avoid any hitches in receiving your payment.Because of Impostors, we hereby issued you our code of conduct, which is (Atm-7750) so you have to indicate this code when contacting the Card Center by using it as your subject.
Kindly be informed that recipients shall be liable to pay $350 dollars which is obvious cost arising for the delivery of the donation parcel and there will be no hidden fees. This is due to Legal law protecting all donation funds misappropriation.
Good luck and kind regards,
Mr. Ban Ki-Moon
Secretary-General of the United Nations.