fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "inheritance funds" (a common phrase found in 419 scams)
- "dear beneficiary," (this SPAM email was probably sent to thousands of people)
- "barrister" (Barristers (lawyers) mentioned in 419 scams are always fake.)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- Barristers (lawyers) mentioned in 419 scams are always fake.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- email@example.com (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
Fraud email example:
From: "JAMES B. COMEY" <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2017 15:11:04 -0800
Subject: FEDERAL BUREAU OF INVESTIGATION
Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI)
Counter-terrorism Division and Cyber Crime Division
J. Edgar. Hoover Building Washington DC
PLEASE READ CAREFULLY!
Through our Internet Monitory Unit, we found out that you are among one of the individuals and organizations that are yet to receive their overdue payment from overseas which includes those of Lottery/Gambling, Contract and Inheritance fund.
We have gathered all information about your fund and we found out that the reason why you have not yet receive your fund is because the past Governmental Officials held it to themselves due to some individuals tries to take advantage of your fund and they claims that they are your representative.
A meeting was held with the secretary general of the United Nations Organization in other to push the federal government of Nigeria to clear all the foreign debt owen to you and some other individuals who have not received their Lottery/Gambling, Contract and Inheritance funds! This meeting ended 3 days ago and we are happy to inform you that a mandate has been successfully passed down to the current president of Nigeria his Excellency President Buhari, to clear all that foreign debts owed to you and other individuals and organizations.
Now each of you will receive the total sum of 26 million USD, because everything has been taken care of by the Federal Government of Nigeria, The United Nation and also the FBI!
How would you like to receive your own 26 million USD? We have two method of payment, which is by ATM CARD or by CASHIER CHEQUE.
ATM CARD: We will be issuing you a custom pin based ATM card which you will use to withdraw up to $12,000 per day from any ATM machine that has the Master Card Logo on it and the card have to be renewed in 4 years time which is 2020. Also with the ATM card you will be able to transfer your funds to your local bank account. The ATM card comes with a handbook or manual to enlighten you about how to use it Even if you do not have a bank account.
CASHIER CHEQUE: To be deposited in your bank for it to be cleared within three working days. Your payment would be sent to you via any of your preferred option and would be mailed to you via DHL, because today we signed a contract with the DHL Express to take charge of the delivery, which should expire in 2 weeks time.
To effect on the release of your payment, contact with our correspondent officer in Africa, his name is: Barrister. Lord Reuben , his contact information is as stated below.
Name: Barrister. Lord Reuben
You are advised to contact him with the following information's so that he can attend to your payment release file immediately and process for the payment without any delay.
Your full Name:
Your Delivery Address:
Your Preferred Payment Method (ATM CARD/ CASHIER CHEQUE)
JAMES B. COMEY
FEDERAL BUREAU OF INVESTIGATION
UNITED STATES DEPARTMENT OF JUSTICE
WASHINGTON, D.C. 20535
Phone Number: +1 (206) 259-9214
Note: Do disregard any email you get from any impostors or offices claiming to be in possession of your fund, you are only advice to be in contact with Anderson Brown, who is the rightful person to deal with in regards to your fund. Forward any emails you get from impostors to this office so we could act upon and commence investigation.