fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "top secret" (scammers urge victims to keep the transaction secret because they don't want anyone to point out to them that it is a scam)
- "barrister" (Barristers (lawyers) mentioned in 419 scams are always fake.)
- This email message is a next of kin scam.
- Barristers (lawyers) mentioned in 419 scams are always fake.
Fraud email example:
From: "RAMOS GOMEZ" (may be fake)
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2017 21:34:27 +1100
Subject: HAPPY NEW YEAR TO YOU??
Compliment of the day. Firstly, I must solicit your confidence in this transaction; this is by virtue of its nature as being utterly
confidential and top secret. Though I know that a transaction of this magnitude will make any one apprehensive and worried, but I am assuring you that all will be well. Let me start by introducing myself. My name is Barrister Ramos I.Gomez a personal attorney to Late Ms. Isabel Alfonso, herein referred to as my late client. This email might come as a surprise to you, Since there was no previous correspondence between us. My purpose of contacting you is for you to help secure the funds left behind by my late client, to avoid it being confiscated or declared unserviceable by the Bank in Spain where this fund valued (Eighteen Million One hundred thousand Euros) was deposited by my client before her death.
The Bank has issued me a notice to contact the next of kin or the account will be declared unserviceable and the fund diverted to the Bank treasury, So far all my efforts to get hold of someone related to her has proved abortive. I am actually asking for your consent to present you to the Bank as the Next of Kin/beneficiary of my late client's fund, so that the proceeds of this account can be paid to you (bearing in mind that Next of Kinship is not limited to relations othe deceased, nor is it confined to the circuit of parental relationship, rather it is by choice of the benefactor as regards to whom she wish to WILL it to either formally by write up, or informally by secret information disclosure to beneficiary be him/her a business partner, relation, kinsmen, friend or well wisher.
I shall provide all the documents to back up the claim as my client's Next of Kin. All I require is your honest cooperation and commitments to enable us achieve this transaction. I wish to point out that I want 10% of this money to be shared among charity Organizations, while the remaining 90% would be shared equally between us. This transaction is entirely risk free. I will use my position as the clients attorney to guarantee the successful execution of this transaction.
I will provide you with details and relevant documents that will help you understand this transaction.
Barrister Ramos I. Gomez
c/ Parellades, 39 1r 1a | 08870
Sitges Barcelona - Spain.