fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "the consignment" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "00,000.00" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "here in united kingdom" (this email uses bad English)
- "diplomatic agent" ("diplomats" who perform deliveries of cash or other valuables to you only exist in 419 scams)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists mobile phone numbers. Use of such numbers is typical for scams because they allow criminals to conceal their true location. They can receive calls in an Internet cafe from where they send you emails, while pretending to be in some office.
- +447042048671 (UK, redirects to a mobile phone in another country)
Fraud email example:
From: "Joshua Andrew" (may be fake)
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2017 17:05:06 -0800
Subject: Please Reply...
I know that as you read this email, a lot will go through your mind, but i want you to know that this email is for you as i have the feeling that we are meant to do this together. My name is Joshua Andrew and I use to work for a well know bank over here in United Kingdom and i am the one in charge of packaging and also the one in charge of courier for my bank. You might also wonder how i got your contact, I got it through the internet when i was looking for a trust worthy person i can trust to handle a deal i am about to propose to you.
A consignments has already been shipped to the United State through me which content $46, 000,000.00USD and all are in $100.00 bill and i will like us to work together in getting the consignments delivered to you. I would want you to help me clear this consignments. It also should be know that this consignments was moved to the United States by our accredited diplomatic agent which all his information will be sent to you when you signify your interest in working with me in this deal.
You will be getting 40% of the total sum while I will be getting 50% and 10% will be for any expenses in cure during the delivery. Be rest assured that there are no risk in this deal. My identity should not be disclose for security reason which i know you understand. I would like you to send to me this details. Your full names, Your address, Your Phone No, Date of Birth and occupation.
If you and willing to go ahead with this deal you can email me back with the information I requested. Also for security reasons other modalities will be disclose to you as soon as you signify your interest and including the combination code to the consignments will be sent to you too.
Call Me (+44) 7042048671 od