fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "million united states dollars" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- ",000,000" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "00,000.00" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "is 100% risk free" (almost true for the criminal trying to scam you - arrests of online criminals are rare)
- "barrister" (Barristers (lawyers) mentioned in 419 scams are always fake.)
- "chambers" (Barristers (lawyers) mentioned in 419 scams are always fake.)
- This email message is a next of kin scam.
- Barristers (lawyers) mentioned in 419 scams are always fake.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- firstname.lastname@example.org (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
Fraud email example:
From: "JADIEL FERREIRA OLIVEIRA" (may be fake)
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2017 17:01:08 -0900
Subject: BARRISTER JADIEL FERREIRA OLIVEIRA
BARRISTER JADIEL FERREIRA OLIVEIRA
OLIVEIRA & ASSOCIATES INTERNATIONAL LAW CHAMBERS.
SOLICITORS AND ADVOCATES
2422 montarville st Longueuil City Quebec Canada h4e 4j9
Our Ref: SIB1000732985761
Tell: 517 252 7713
Our Ref: SIB1000732985761.
Our Ref: SIB1000732985761.
My name is Barrister Jadiel Oliveira a Brazilian citizen based in Canada. I am the Personal Attorney to late Mr. Morris Thompson an American citizen who served as a Commissioner of the Bureau of Indian Affairs from 1973 to 1976 in the United States and a business man before his death. He died while returning from vacation with his wife and only daughter in an air crash of Alaska Airlines Flight 261 which was a scheduled international passenger flight on January 31, 2000 from Lic. Gustavo D?az Ordaz International Airport in Puerto Vallarta, Mexico, to Seattle-Tacoma International Airport in Seattle, Washington, with an intermediate stop at San Francisco International Airport in San Francisco California.
Before then, Mr. Morris Thompson an old business man made a fixed deposit, worth the sum of $20,000,000.00 US Dollars (Twenty Million United States Dollars) with DORTHVILLE CITY BANK OF CANADA through FEDERAL CREDIT UNION and upon maturity in the year 2008 several notice was sent to reach any of his family members, but there were no response up till date and no one has been able to identify or be reached as a relative to late Mr. Morris Thompson who die with his wife Thelma and only daughter Sheryl who happened to be the next of kin and beneficiary to his estate.
One of the reason why I contacted you is, according to the present law in Canada, by the end of this year 2016, being his personal attorney, if am unable to provide his next of kin and beneficiary of this fund this worth the sum of $20,000,000.00 US Dollars plus the accrued interest for this period of 16years, the fund will be reverted to the Federal Government Treasury Account.
Against this backdrop, I needed a foreigner to assist me in getting this fund out from the Bank Account because due to bad Leaders/Government this fund will not be utilized but will be diverted into personal account of famous and top political officers in the country rather than using it for proper investment that will promote economic growth and development in the country or rather for charity works.
So please I will like you as a foreigner to stand as the next of kin to my late client Mr. Thompson so that you will be able to receive these funds for both of us for investment and other related charity reasons. WHAT IS TO BE DONE IS AS FOLLOWS;
You will have to provide me with the below information and attached a copy of your identification while replying this email;
 OCCUPATION STATUS:
Also be informed that this Transaction will take us just 5-10 working days only to be accomplished beginning from when I receive the above information from you.
I will file an application to the Bank on your behalf once I received your information and also secure the necessary approval and letter of probate in your favor for the movement of the funds to an account that will be provided by you. This process is 100% risk free as I have set out all the modalities to see that a legal and legitimate process is applied.
Please note that utmost secrecy and confidentiality is required at all times during this transaction.
I will be giving you more details on the receipt of your information as required above I will prefer that you reach me via this email address: (email@example.com)
Your earliest response to this offer will be appreciated so that I can tell you more of this transaction.
Barrister Jadiel Oliveira Ferreira.