fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- firstname.lastname@example.org (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
Fraud email example:
From: "Anna Choi" (may be fake)
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2017 10:00:26 -0500
Subject: FROM HKKIC
Dear Valued Partner,
This is the HONGKONG KEYBRIDGE INVESTMENT COMPANY LIMITED Debt/Loan Funding Platform.
The HKKIC limited is a Financial Strategic Firm specializing in Growth Financial Loans/Debt Funding
Investments. We specialize in investments in Private sectors in a broad range of areas, Within our
Financial Investment Services are M&A development and management, financial and operational
management, due diligence and capital planning and development including Real estate, Energy, Oil
and Gas,emerging markets and high-technology, communications, software and digital content and
The HKKIC Business Development Team will invest in the range of $1Million to $100Million on any
viable Projects presented by your Management after Independent review on your Business Model
Presentation. We intend to maintain a Silent/Financial Position on our Business with your Company.
Reply me through my private email Address for more information Email(email@example.com)
We look forward to your favourable response.