fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "the consignment" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "trunk box" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "consignment " (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "the diplomat " ("diplomats" who perform deliveries of cash or other valuables to you only exist in 419 scams)
- "a diplomat " ("diplomats" who perform deliveries of cash or other valuables to you only exist in 419 scams)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
Fraud email example:
From: Mr ronald gibson <info@VAULTSILVER.COM>
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2017 15:22:55 +0100
Subject: URGENT MESSAGE FROM INSPECTION UNIT
MR. RONALD GIBSON WILLIAMS
Harts-field-Jackson Atlanta International Airport .
I am Mr Ronald Gibson Williams Director Inspection Unit United Nations
Inspection Agent in Harts field International Airport Atlanta Georgia
. During our investigation, I discovered An abandoned shipment from a
Diplomat from United Kingdom under i ship forwarder was transferred
from JF Kennedy Airport to our facility here in Atlanta and when
scanned it revealed an undisclosed sum of money in a Metal Trunk Box
weighing approximately 110kg each. The consignment was abandoned
because the Content was not properly declared by the consignee as
money rather it was declared as personal effect to avoid diversion by
the Shipping Agent also the Diplomat inability to pay for Non
On my assumption, each of the boxes will contain more than $7M to $10M
each and the consignment is still left in storage house till today
through a registered shipping Company, Courier Dispatch Service
Limited a division of Tran guard LTD. The Consignment they are two
metal box with weight of about 110kg each (Internal dimension: W61 x
H156 x D73 (cm). Effective capacity: 680 L.)Approximately,
The details of the consignment including your name the official
document from United Nation office in London are tagged on the Metal
Provide your Phone Number full address, name of nearest Airport around
and other details or disregard. You can send the required details to
me for onward delivery.
All communication must be held extremely confidential. I can get
everything concluded within 3-6 hours upon your acceptance and proceed
to your address for delivery. But I must get assurance from you
concerning my 50% before I will proceed.
I want us to transact this business and share the money, since the
shippers have abandoned it and ran away. We will pay for the Non
inspection fee and arrange for the boxes to be moved out of this
Airport to your address, once we are through I will deploy the
services of a secured shipping Company geared to provide the security
it needs to your doorstep. Or I can bring it by myself to avoid any
more trouble. But I will share it 50% to you and 50% to me. But you
have to assure me of my 50% before proceeding.
MR. RONALD GIBSON WILLIAMS