fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "outstanding contractors" (a common phrase found in 419 scams)
- "to your nominated bank account" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "00,000.00" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "fund beneficiary" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- email@example.com (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
- michael barr tel:.(903)-207-2236 e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org email:email@example.com telex: 08661 (Gmail; can be used from anywhere worldwide)
Fraud email example:
From: FROM BANK OF AMERICA <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2017 11:51:12 -0800
Subject: URGENT RESPONSE FROM BANK OF AMERICA,IS MRS.ROSE STILLMAN YOUR PARTNER?!
Address: 135 S Lasalle St Chicago, IL 60603 US
Financial Solutions Advisor: MICHAEL BARR
Telex: 08661 Credit/BOA.
We apologies for the delay of your payment and all the inconveniences this might put you through, while we were having some minor problems with our payment system which in all case not meeting up with fund beneficiary payments, we apologies once again.
From the records of outstanding contractors due for payment with Federal Government of U.S.A your name was discovered as next on the list out of the 11 outstanding contractors who have not yet received their payments during the 3 years tenure of the previous administration in office please bear with us for making this initial contact through email. Meanwhile, a woman came to this bank a few days ago with a letter claiming to be your true representative. Here is her informations below.
Name: Mrs. Rose Stillman
Bank name: Citizens State Bank , Arizona , USA .
Account Number: 6503809008
Routing number: 322271627
Address: 1723 Palmdale Bulv Palmdale ca.93550
Please do reconfirm to this bank as a matter of urgency if this woman is from you or not so that this Bank will not beheld responsible for paying into wrong account, if this woman is not your representative, you are requested to fill and send this informations for verification's purpose so that your fund valued ($10.500,000.00 USD) will be remitted in to your nominated bank account through our Cemac Online Telegraphic Wire Transfer System without query from Government Incom Tax Department of United State.
Kindly reconfirm to the bank the following details
1. Bank Name:
2. Account Holder's Name:
3. Bank account number:
4. Route number:
5. Swift code:
6. Your telephone number:
7. Company name:
11. Home Address:
12. Working Id/ intl Passport or Drivers License:
As soon as this information is received, we shall process your fund remittance through Online Banking immediately directly from this BANK OF AMERICA (BOA). We shall proceed to issue all payments details to the said Mrs. Rose Stillman if we do not hear from you within the next three working days from today. We are sorry for any inconvenience the delay in transferring of your fund must have caused you.
You alerted reply urgent
Financial Solutions Advisor: MICHAEL BARR
This email is free from viruses and malware because avast! Antivirus protection is active.