fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- firstname.lastname@example.org (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
Fraud email example:
From: "Rev Francis Opuku" (may be fake)
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2017 05:58:33 -0500
Subject: WE CARE ABOUT YOUR BUSINESS
I am Rev. Francis Opuku a Financial Consultant from Narrow MICRO-FINANCE Consultancy Ltd Ghana West Africa, We are highly connected in West Africa here and we have over 10 years working experince. We are offering you investment loan at a low interest rate of 3% per annual with 10 years time duration. We offer $10 million to $50 Million to private business owners and up to $200 million to company owners, I am working with Narrow Micro finance Ltd Ghana. Narrow micro-finance Ltd is a Company in Ghana and as a Global consulting Resource Broker, We are represents wealthy families that have funds under our management for investments into viable project. Presently because of the corruption fight that is going on in Nigeria the largest Economy in West Africa and West Africa in general has made us have excess cash follow and we are looking for Companies/individuals that need loan to run their businesses. So many families are already in hook and so many families need their fund moved
to a save country for investment
Contact us for more detail
Yours in service
Rev. Francis Opuku
Contact Email: email@example.com