fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "the consignment" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "consignment " (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
Fraud email example:
From: "VERITAS (INDIA) LIMITED (VIL)" (may be fake)
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2017 00:18:17 -0800
Subject: Re: Re: Re: Re: Project
Kindly find the attached Tender order and provide us the Order
Confirmation/Proforma invoice along side your bank details.
We need the item E58TD by air freight urgently,we will make the payment as
soon as the consignment is ready for dispatch.
Items E689DR and E798OP is needed to be of high quality also confirm the
Awaiting your early confirmation of this mail.
Shree Nakoda Exim
Manager : Imports - International sourcing
VERITAS (INDIA) LIMITED (VIL)
Veritas House, 70 Mint Road,
Fort, Mumbai - 400 001. INDIA
Tel: +91 - 22 - 2275 5555 / 6184 0000
Fax: +91 - 22 - 2275 5556 / 6184 0001