fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "dear sir/madam" (a standard Nigerian greeting phrase)
- ",500,000" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "00,000.00" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "await your urgent response" (scammers rush victims so they don't have time to think properly)
- "nigeria national petroleum corporation" (the name of a person or institution often appearing in 419 scams)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
Fraud email example:
From: "ENGR. KABIRU MUSA AHMED" (may be fake)
Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2017 14:44:33 -0500
I AM CHAIRMAN CONTRACT AWARD AND MONITORING COMMITTEE IN SHELL PETROLEUM COMPANY AND NIGERIA NATIONAL PETROLEUM CORPORATION
(NNPC). MY COMMITTEE AWARDED A CONTRACT TO A FOREIGN FIRM IN NNPC AND THIS CONTRACT WAS OVER INVOICED TO THE TUNE OF
$22,500,000.00USD AND THE OVER INVOICE WAS DONE DELIBERATELY FOR MY MUTUAL BENEFIT.GET BACK FOR MORE DETAILS AND
THANKS AND I AWAIT YOUR URGENT RESPONSE.
ENGR. KABIRU MUSA AHMED
CHAIRMAN, CONTRACT AWARD AND MONITORING.