fighting spam and scams on the Internet
Try our spam filter!
Free trial for 30 days

About Us

"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam

The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.

Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.

Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!

Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.

Click here to report a problem with this page.



Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:

Fraud email example:

From: =?utf-8?q?ABDUL_MUSTAFA?= <>
Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2017 13:09:18 +0100
Subject: =?utf-8?q?Dear_Sir=28Please_Read_Carefully=2CDigest_=26_Then_Review=29?=


I am writing on a request for an investment option and my relocation to your country I am Abdul Mustafa, former financial adviser and investment planner to late Muammar Gaddafi of Libya. With all due humility,Though this medium of communication(internet) has been grossly abused by criminally-minded people,thus making it difficult for people with genuine business transaction to correspond and exchange views without skepticism. I advise that you read and review this memo carefully for better understanding before you respond to this proposal which will usher us into great financial fortunes at the completion of the process.

The crisis in Libya after the death of Muammar Gaddafi was a global event which I believe you must have read or heard about it. Needless to recount that many families lost a lot and are still losing more on a daily basis. And I need your help to secure the release of the funds which were stashed away on behalf of late Muammar Gaddafi during the Arab spring that finally consumed him. The funds in question are proceeds of contracts executed by close family members of late Muammar Gaddafi which I facilitated it's deposits in a financial corporation in Africa before his death.

Some examples of these contracts are BP\'s US$900M Libyan oil exploration contract in 2007,shares in Juventus Football Club, Eni: the Italian oil giant, and Pearson: the parent company of Penguin and Financial Times. Also some money was made from investments in numerous financial institutions, including Goldman Sachs, JP Morgan Chase and the Carlyle Group etc.

In order to ensure that all the family\'s assets are not frozen in the event of dethronement from power as the result of the crisis, the late Leader, instructed that the funds be deposited in a sealed box with the financial corporation, ostensibly to divert attention in view of the huge sums of money involved. The sealed box contained the sum of US$15.7 Million only.

The death of Muammar Gaddafi provided a unique opportunity for me to claim the funds which were deposited in my name to conceal the true identity of the real owner. All the documents relating to this deposit are with me as the late leader was too preoccupied on how to contain the fast spreading crisis then and by act of commission or omission, failed to ask for the documents before his death. No other person(s) knew about this deposit except two of us and the good thing is that the top officials of the financial corporation know me as their valued client in view of the prized deposits.

I am now intending to move the fund (US$15.7Million) out of the financial corporation in Africa through your kind co-operation for onward deposit in your nominated personal or company\'s bank account. I guarantee that the transaction is risk-free as it will be legally done in such a way that there will be no breach of any laws as I have all the documents.

On completion of the transaction, you will receive 30% of the funds for your participation and co-operation while the remaining 70% shall be for me, which you will also help me to invest part of it in your country.

If you are interested in this transaction by accepting to receive the funds on my behalf, kindly respond back to me. Otherwise, you should do me a favor by informing me that you are not interested so that I can look for another partner and proceed to delete the message from your mailbox to avoid unauthorized access for security reason.

Further information regarding the deposit shall be disclosed to you as soon as I receive your return e-mail indicating interest.

Abdul Mustafa
Benghazi Libya.

Anti-fraud resources: