fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "courier service" (Courier companies mentioned in 419 scams are always fake. They will have you send money to them, but won't deliver anything. )
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- email@example.com (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
Fraud email example:
From: "Anthony Martins" (may be fake)
Date: Sat, 1 Oct 2016 00:50:49 +0100
Subject: YOUR FUND PART PAYMENT
Good day Beneficiary.
My name is Mr. Anthony Martins. I am a computer scientist working with Central Bank of Ghana (CBG). I am 41years old, i just started working with the bank 3months now. I saw your fund released file marked X and your fund released Disk painted RED.I took time to study it and tried to find out why the funds have not been released to you.I am delighted to contact you on a private note based on your claim to your funds which has been programmed for release through ATM VISA CARD through my department.I am hereby apologizing to you for the delay in releasing this fund into your account, which was caused by of Breach of Agreement between you and your so-called partners here in Ghana who introduced you into the business.The most annoying thing I discovered is that some wicked and selfish men in some the bank here in Ghana were behind the reason why your funds were not release to you; instead of releasing your funds they want you to spend your money unnecessarily.
I want you to know that the President of this country Ghana has order to arrest all those criminal damaging the image of this country by using the bank here to defraud you refused to transfer your fund to your account.the President has Order Central Bank of Ghana (CBG)to release part payment of your fund before our coming election 7 December through an ATM VISA CARD department.we are informing you to claim your funds by directing you to the sincere and authorized person that can legitimately release part of of your fund to you. But you must keep this information to your self for the safety of my job and security.because some of this criminals have been arrested and they will soon send to prison for there evil act towards you and this country.
I have to do this because you need to know the status of your fund and the cause for none release of your fund.The only fast option left for these funds will be release to you. is through an ATM VISA CARD which is Global use and you can withdraw $5000 Us Dollar daily Minimum.but have it mind that you will bear the cost of the courier service that will deliver it to you.Once you contact the authorized person,he will immediately direct on you what to do to receive the ATM
VISA CARD Worth of $750.000 Seven Hundred and Fifty thousand Us Dollar at your doorstep within 24hours. They have been fooling you all these while and you have not been issued with the Original Hard Copy of the Agreement.The reason is that the people you were dealing with for very long times now have been deceiving you!.The only authorized and sincere person that will issue and deliver the ATM VISA CARD is Pastor Joeshua Kweku he is a reliable Man of God,
Please when contacting him; make sure you tell him your whole ordeal you went through because of their fraudulent act.
Please get back to Pastor Joeshua Kweku on his email address (firstname.lastname@example.org) only if you are still
interested in claiming your funds.