fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
Fraud email example:
From: "Sisters" (may be fake)
Date: Sun, 5 Mar 2017 19:10:17 +0100
Subject: Re: Hi
I would like to make a proposal that may be of interest to you. My doctor has just told me that my days have counted because of my health
This is my proposal, what I have to tell you is very important, I am a French 82 years old, I have lost my husband since 1997, My late husband and I were leading a gold mine for many years, so to my surprise yesterday a gold guarding company called me to inform me that they still have our gold bullion with them. I was full will joy inside of me when I got the message but this was just after my Doctor's notice that my surgery is by the weekend. I need you to help me handle my these, my funds , donate 80% of my funds to the charity in your communit/ Country and the other 20% goes to you and your family....for the time spent and stress............I will give you more details when I hear from you.