fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "million us dollars" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "diplomatic courier" ("diplomats" who perform deliveries of cash or other valuables to you only exist in 419 scams)
- "barrister" (Barristers (lawyers) mentioned in 419 scams are always fake.)
- "barr." (Barristers (lawyers) mentioned in 419 scams are always fake.)
- "charles soludo" (the name of a person or institution often appearing in 419 scams)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- Barristers (lawyers) mentioned in 419 scams are always fake.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- email@example.com (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
Fraud email example:
From: "Mrs vivian thomas." <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Date: Mon, 6 Mar 2017 01:12:15 -0300
Subject: HELLO AM MRS VIVIAN AND THIS MESSAGE IS URGENT!!!
AtAttn: My Dear.
I am Mrs vivian thomas, I am a US citizen, 51 years Old. I reside here in Silver Springs Florida. My residential address is
as follows. 7008 E Hwy 326 Silver Springs Florida 34488, United States, am thinking of relocating since I am now rich. I am
one of those that took part in the Compensation in Nigeria many years ago and they refused to pay me, I have paid over US
$20,000 while in the US, trying to get my payment all to no avail
So I decided to travel down to Nigeria with all my compensation documents, And I was directed to meet barrister Fred Johnson, who is the member of COMPENSATION AWARD COMMITTEE, and I contacted him and he explained everything to me. He said whoever has been contacting us lately are scams.
He called the bank for the claim of my Compensation payment,and the money i was ask to pay was not much,i was ask to pay a
token amount of US$900.Right now I am the most happiest woman on earth because I have received my compensation funds of $2.5
Million US Dollars Moreover, barrister Fred Johnson, showed me the full information of those that are yet to receive their payments and I saw your email address as one of the beneficiaries, that is why I decided to email you to stop dealing with those people, they are not with your fund, they are only making money out of you. I will advise you to contact barrister Fred Johnson
You have to contact him directly on this information below.
COMPENSATION AWARD HOUSE
Name : Barrister Fred Johnson(Esq)
EMail : email@example.com
You really have to stop dealing with those people that are contacting you and telling you that your fund is with them, it is
not in anyway with them, they are only taking advantage of you and they will dry you up until you have nothing.
The only money you are to pay is just US$900 for the paper works, take note of that.
As soon as you contact barrister Fred Johnson he will tell you how to proceed in order for him to obtain your document from the court of law there in Nigeria so that your fund can be transfer to you without any delay just the way i Mrs Vivian thomas
transfer went successful to my bank account.
Listed below are the name of mafias and banks behind the non release of your funds that I managed to sneak out for your kind perusal.
Prof. Charles soludo
Senator David Mark
Chief Joseph Sanusi
Dr. R. Rasheed
Mr. David Koffi
Mr. John Collins: Global Diplomat Director.
Foreign fund diplomatic courier
Barr. Becky Owens
Rev. Steven Jones
Mr. Alfred james
Mrs. Sherry Williams
Mr. Scott Larry
Send the following details if you know you are ready to have your FUNDS so that as soon as barristerFRED JOHNSON receive your information he will send you the following details on how you are to make payment for the document and paper works.
You sending him the $900USD is needed for him to get the document and paper works that is needed to make the transfer a
successful one and that is the only payment I Mrs vivian thomas made to barrister FRED Johnson and he helped me get my funds transfer.
Fill Out the information to him if you are ready to get your FUNDS
Once again stop contacting those people, I will advise you to contact barrister Fred Johnson so that he can help you to Deliver your
fund instead of dealing with those liars that will be turning you around asking for different kind of money to complete your
Thank You and Be Blessed.
Mrs vivian thomas.
7008 E Hwy 326 Silver Springs
Florida 34488, United States