fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- This email message is a next of kin scam.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- firstname.lastname@example.org (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
Fraud email example:
From: "Le Gall" (may be fake)
Date: Sat, 4 Mar 2017 00:58:49 +0100
Subject: Re: MS. MARYVONNE LE GALL
I AM MS. MARYVONNE LE GALL, THE HEAD OF ACCOUNTING AUDIT DEPARTMENT OF
HSBC BANK (HSBC)IN FRANCE. IN MY DEPARTMENT IN THE BANK WHERE I WORK,
I DISCOVERED A SUM OF 8.3 MILLION EUROS ( 8.3 EUROS) IN AN ACCOUNT
THAT BELONGS TO ONE OF OUR FOREIGN DECEASED CUSTOMERS, A BILLIONAIRE
BUSINESS MOGUL LATE MR.MOISES SABA MASRI, A JEW FROM MEXICO WHO WAS A
VICTIM OF A HELICOPTER CRASH SINCE 2010 YEAR.RESULTING TO HIS DEATH
AND HIS FAMILY MEMBERS, YOU CAN SEE MORE INFORMATION ABOUT SABA MASRI MR.MOISES, UNFORTUNATE
END ACCIDENT ON THE WEBSITE-LINK BELOW.
NOW OUR BANK HAS BEEN WAITING FOR ANY OF THE RELATIVES TO COME FORTH
FOR THE CLAIM BUT NOBODY HAS DONE THAT SINCE 2010. I PERSONALLY HAVE
BEEN UNSUCCESSFUL IN LOCATING THE RELATIVES, WHICH THE BOARD OF
DIRECTORS ARE PLANNING TO SHARE THIS FUNDS AMONG THEMSELVES, WHICH I
HAVE GOOD HEART TO USE THIS FUNDS TO HELP THE POOR AND THE MOTHERLESS
HOME I SEEK YOUR CONSENT AS MY FOREIGN BUSINESS PARTNER IN THIS
TRANSACTION TO PRESENT YOU AS THE NEXT OF KIN/BENEFICIARY TO THE
DECEASED,SO THAT THE FUNDS OF THIS ACCOUNT VALUED AT 8.3 MILLION
EUROS ( 8,3 EUROS) CAN BE PAID TO YOUR LOCAL BANK ACCOUNT IN YOUR
COUNTRY. ALSO THIS TRANSACTION IS %100 FREE RISK, BECAUSE I HAVE ALL
THE LEGAL DOCUMENTS WITH ME TO MAKE THIS TRANSACTION POSSIBLE. AND THE
FUNDS WE WILL SHARE 50/50 I WANT TO USE PART OF MY FUNDS TO HELP
ORPHANAGE AND MOTHERLESS CHILD HOME AND I DON'T KNOW ABOUT YOU.
PLEASE PROVIDE ME THE FOLLOWING FEW INFORMATION ABOUT YOU, AS WE HAVE FEW
DAYS AHEAD TO RUN IT THROUGH.
1. YOUR FULL NAMES:.............................
2. YOUR AGE:..........................
3. YOUR PRIVATE PHONE NUMBER:...............
4. YOUR CURRENT COUNTRY AND RESIDENTIAL ADDRESS:........
5. YOUR OCCUPATION:.....................
PLEASE ON YOUR CONFIRMATION OF THIS MESSAGE AND INDICATING YOUR
INTEREST, I WILL PROVIDE YOU WITH MORE INFORMATION ON THIS BUSINESS
TRANSACTION ONCE I GET YOUR RESPOND BACK ASAP. FOR SAFETY YOU CAN WRITE TO MY PERSONAL EMAIL: email@example.com
MS. MARYVONNE LE GALL.