fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- This email message is a "dying widow" scam.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- email@example.com (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
Fraud email example:
From: Rose Annika <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Date: Thu, 9 Mar 2017 03:46:22 +0000
Subject: Rose Annika
I am honored to be in contact with you this day. My name is (Rose Annika)
from Sweden. I was married to (Rev, Fredrick Kjell); who died on the 28th
Until his death he served as an archdeacon in the St. Paulâs Archdeaconry
in South Africa and Cote d'Ivoire for 14 years. We were married for 15
years without any child. His death occurred after a brief illness that
lasted for some weeks, he was my whole life and everything I loved and
While my husband was alive, we were setting up an Establishment and
Development of Charity Organization but unfortunately his death did not
allow him to actualize the project.
I am in need of an honest and sincere person whom I will entrust the fund:
(FOR THE ESTABLISMENT OF ORPHANAGE HOME, CHARITY ORGANIZATION and FOOD
PANTRIES) So you can distribute the funds to charity homes around the world.
Some Few Months Ago, Medical Expert and Doctors confirmed to me I am
suffering from kidney and cancer disease and my present health condition is
in a critical shape, I don't know what might happen to me in the next few
weeks that is the reason I am taking this bold decision.
This decision was mainly taken because I donât have any child who will
inherit the fund.
I may not need any telephone communication because of my present health
As soon as I receive your reply I will connect you with the financial
institution holding the fund so that you can contact them on how they will
transfer the money to your preferred destination.
Beloved, do not delays to reply this message as any delay will
automatically push me to look for another religious organization or
individual for this same purpose.
You should reply to my private email address email@example.com
Please kindly assure me that you will act accordingly as Stated herein.
Yours Sister: Rose Annika