fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "from the desk of" (a common phrase found in 419 scams)
- "clearing fee" (this will cost you money - be careful with upfront payments to anyone you only know through email, especially if they promise you a lot of money. NEVER send money by Western Union or MoneyGram to people you do not know personally - NO EXCEPTIONS! Instant wire transfer services are not meant to be used with strangers because they offer no protection against fraud. That is precisely why the criminals want you send money that way. )
- "% of every payment" (Beware of any scheme that involves depositing checks or money orders or receiving wire transfers in your bank account and then wiring a portion of the funds somewhere, for a percentage of 5-15% of the total. Such offers are *always* fraudulent and you will be liable for the entire amount when the checks, money orders or wire transfers turn out to be fraudulent. Any money already forwarded comes out of *your* pocket then. )
- "money order " (Beware of any scheme that involves cashing checks or money orders and then wiring a portion of the funds somewhere - you'll be liable for the entire amount if the checks or money orders turn out to be fake, even after you have received and forwarded cash. If it's a lottery prize, remember that real lotteries do not pay large prizes by check. They wire the money directly to your bank account and you do not pay for that. Many scammers promise a large check only in order to then demand payment of courier fees for a fake courier service. )
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- email@example.com (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
Fraud email example:
From: "OCEAN SKY GLOBAL" (may be fake)
Date: Thu, 9 Mar 2017 05:39:23 +0100
Subject: Representatives Needed Urgently
FROM THE DESK OF MRS JESSICA JACKSON HEAD OF OPERATIONS
OCEAN SKY TEXTILE (USA)
12/F PARK BUILDING
Ocean sky is a partner of choice for leading global brands, Ocean Sky is a fully integrated apparel service provider from design to distribution. Through our relentless pursuit of innovation, strategic enhancements to organizational capabilities, leveraging on opportunities for business growth, Ocean Sky has achieved success through speed, cost efficiency, quality and innovation to global customers worldwide. Established in 1995 and listed on the Ma-inboard of Stock Exchange of Singapore in 2003, the Groups four core business units are Corporate Services, Apparel Agency, Apparel Production and Apparel Support Services. We are looking for reputable people across the world who will work for us as a payment collectors and serves as our representatives in there area.
DUTY: The payment collector receives payments from our customers located within their business area ( CITY,STATE,) payment might be inform of cash, cashier checks, Credit Card transfer, money order or wire transfer. he/she will report directly the payments office via email, telephone or fax.
This position does not require any educational qualification but a bachelors degree or very good high school record will be an added advantage,no experience is needed but should be able to speak his/her language fluently as well as understand an extra language will be an added advantage. The individual should be highly motivated, sensitive, been a meticulous person is an added advantage.
This Job is a part- time Job and has been designed in such a way that it does not affect your regular daily work. The employees who make efforts and work hard have a strong possibility to become a regional supervisor. Salary Range: Weekly: 500.00USD. (Fixed)$2,000:00-Monthly Plus 10% of every payments received excluding any Taxes or Cheque/check clearing fees but any Credit Card transfer or banks wire should be 13%. You should notify your referring agent if you want your salary range to be weekly or monthly.
ADDRESS (not P.O.Box)
PHONE NUMBER (MOBILE AND LAND)
To apply, send referencing position number # 1317210 along with the information we requested to:
POSITION: PAYMENT MANAGER
Tel: (+1) 949-245-2060
Tel: (+1) 908-940-0341