fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following fake company names, fake addresses, non-existent institutions/documents or other details have appeared in scams before:
- "toyota lottery" (no such lottery exists)
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "claim agent" (real lotteries do not use a "claim agent" / "fiduciary agent")
- ",500,000" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "00,000.00" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- This email message is a fake lottery scam. Consider the following facts about real lotteries:
- They don't notify winners by email.
- You can't win without first buying a lottery ticket.
- They don't randomly select email addresses to award prizes to.
- They don't use free email accounts (Yahoo, Hotmail, etc) to communicate with you.
- They don't tell you to call a mobile phone number.
- They don't tell you to keep your winnings secret.
- They will never ask a winner to pay any fees to receive a prize!
- This email lists mobile phone numbers. Use of such numbers is typical for scams because they allow criminals to conceal their true location. They can receive calls in an Internet cafe from where they send you emails, while pretending to be in some office.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- email@example.com (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
Fraud email example:
From: "Madam.Sudarat Best" (may be fake)
Date: Thu, 9 Mar 2017 03:55:05 -0800
Subject: Dear E-mail Owner
TOYOTA AUTOMOBILES COMPANY
Soi 6 Sathorn Bangkok 10120
Luton, Bedfordshire LU1 3YT
Register company number: 4533384
Dear E-mail Owner
This is to inform you that you have won a BRAND NEW Toyota Lottery 2017 CAR and a cash prize of ( US$2,500,000 00 USD). The car comes with a special TOYOTA INSURANCE Cover for one whole year that is till the next promotion. It also comes with a one year warranty and FREE repairs at any TOYOTA AUTOMOBILES depot or service centre worldwide. Your Batch No: 671544888052/0001 and Winning No: 6211 make you as one of the lucky winner in our 2017 NEW YEAR Charity! bonanza. Your email address has therefore been approved to claim a total sum of (US$ 2,500,000.00 UNITED STATES DOLLARS) in cash with the following reference numbers:
Ticket Number 9990542188(HAQSA20111).
Serial Number JSA1710433
Reference Number: KKK821/453L/EWR.
Bonus Number WQA623
INSURANCE Number is: LLA9263731
Note: your e-mail address qualified for the draw, as a result of your visiting various websites we are running the e-business promotions for. You/Your Company email address, attached to ticket number 9990542188(HAQSA20111), with serial number JSA1710433 drew the Reference Number:KKK821/453L/EWR.. And Bonus number 1 and consequently YOU HAVE won in the Second Category. To begin your claim:-
FILL UP THE BELOW FORM:
1. Full Name:
2. Full Address:
7. Winning Email:
8. Mobile Number:
For further clarification please call and send mail to your claim agent (Madam.Sudarat Best) in order to process your claims with our payee bank:- Mr. Wayne Thanakit. OR Mr.Jones Thonglor
Contact Person: Madam.Sudarat Best
Contact Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Phone Number: +66927517157
Congratulation On Your Winnings.
WARNING: Keep your winning information confidential until your claims are processed and your fund remitted to you in your bank account. This is part of our precautionary measure to avoid double claiming and unwarranted abuse of this program by some unscrupulous elements.
Congratulations once again,
TOYOTA MOTORS CORPORATION LTD.