fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- firstname.lastname@example.org (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
Fraud email example:
From: "Mr.Benjamin Stones" (may be fake)
Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2017 15:43:15 +0100
Subject: Good Day !!
My name is Mr.Benjamin Stones, I am Soliciting On-Behalf of a private Client , who holds a Government Position in his Country and wishes to invest a Profiled Portfolio / funds to the tune of $67.525m in your country .I want to know if you have the ability, workforce and strength to assist my client invest the said funds in commercial agriculture and Bio engineering in your country , as my Client has basic and background knowledge in the above mentioned field and has supporting documents from the World Bank Auditors for proof on Source of Funding to you .
What You Will Be required to do;
 Provide a written acceptance letter .
 Invest and Manage the Funds Profitably .
 Terms of Investment shall be address and discussed by both parties.
 In the event you are currently in need of funding for your personal business and on-going project , we can assist you with the needed funding on a Loan / Investment scheme .
My Client is willing to negotiate Management Sharing Percentage based on your terms. I shall make available to you all necessary documentations, directives and possibly arrange a meeting prior to the release of funds to you.
Due to my clients reputation and the source of funds, we will appreciate if you treat this matter as top confidential. If you are interested in my business proposal and wish to discuss further , kindly respond back to my private email or feel free to reach me for a brief oral discussion.