fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "consignment " (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "million united states dollars" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- ",000,000" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- firstname.lastname@example.org (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
Fraud email example:
From: "CARGO AND STORAGE FACILITY UNIT" <email@example.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2017 02:53:02 -0700
Subject: DELIVERY ALERT URGENT NOTIFICATION PACKAGE ;Reg #: BSN99YHC10
Cedar City Regional Airport(CCR)
2277 Kitty Hawk Dr, Cedar City, Utah 84721. USA
DELIVERY ALERT: ==== PACKAGE ;Reg #: BSN99YHC10
Following the Poverty Alleviation Program(PAP) recently conducted World Wide by the United Nation (UN) and the European Union(EU), you have been legally awarded as one of the lucky beneficiaries a whopping sum of 2,000,000USD (Two Million United States dollars) contained in a Consignment box with Reg #: BSN99YHC10. This Consignment box is a metal box valued at 2,000,000USD (Two Million United States dollars) and arrived at the Cedar City Regional Airport (CCR), via First Flight Couriers Airlines.
Furthermore,this is to inform you that your package and the funds contained therein 2,000,000USD (Two Million ,United States dollars) has been completely and legally investigated by the International Monitory Funds (IMF) and the Federal Bureau of Investigation(FBI) SCAM ALERT UNIT. Therefore, your funds has been officially cleared for delivery to your residence, and due to security reasons has been deposited at the Airport Storage facility awaiting its delivery to your residence.Please be informed that the airport storage and security unit will be expecting you to clear up the $350 storage charge for the immediate release and delivery of your funds to your residence.This fee is not an extortion,but for the security services rendered on the safety of your funds while it awaits its delivery at the storage facility.
In order to recover your package,kindly contact You can contact MR COLLINS POWELL via his email at:(firstname.lastname@example.org) of One World Couriers Ltd to assist you with the recovery of your Package and its immediate delivery to your residence by reconfirming the following delivery details (1). Full Name....(2). Residential Address....(3). Country....(4). Occupation....(5). Cellphone....Note that,failure to treat this email with all sense of urgency, we will be compelled to list your Package as an unclaimed funds and maybe forfeited and will be moved to the United States Treasury Department for holding without further delay.
Cargo and Storage Facility
This Email has been verified by the US Homeland Security & the United State Treasury Department to officially affirm its Legitimacy.This was sent sent from a secured IP address to avoid being compromised or hacked by scammers.Every content of this email is classified and should be kept confidential until the courier successfully arrives your residence with your funds.