fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "million united state dollars" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- ",000,000" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "00,000.00" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "united state dollar" (this email uses bad English)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- email@example.com (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
Fraud email example:
From: "Royal Bank Of Canada (RBC)" <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Date: Sun, 19 Mar 2017 02:28:04 +0100 (CET)
Subject: Royal Bank Of Canada (RBC) Payment Winning Notification
This is to inform you that a Winning payment in the amount of US$10,000,000.00 (Ten Million United State Dollars) was legally approved and deposited with this Bank, Royal Bank of Canada (RBC), it was deposited in your name by the Lottery Board Executive Directors Of Coca-Cola Company Canada Branch, and they instructed this Bank to credit this Winning direct to your private bank account with immediate effect.
Please take note that Royal Bank of Canada (RBC) have decided and agreed together towards the actualization of the above subject matter which will be conducted under a legitimate arrangement that will protect both parties from any breach of law. To actualize this The new arrangement. Be well informed that Royal Bank Of Canada (RBC) was successful opened Royal Bank Of Canada (RBC) Checking Account on behalf of your personal name and the total $12 Billions has been transferred to the non resident account.
Meanwhile, the good news about your payment now is that this paying have made a Royal Bank Of Canada (RBC) Checking Account Booklet and Royal Bank Of Canada (RBC) Platinum MasterCard on behalf of your personal name, which you will be use to withdraw from your non resident account with this Bank smoothly .
And we shall proceed with the delivery of your Royal Bank Of Canada (RBC) Checking Account Booklet and Royal Bank Of Canada (RBC) Platinum MasterCard to your destination house within the stipulated time frame of 24 hours immediately we hear from you because we were mandated to transfer this Winning to you as one of the winner whose the name is listed in the Coca-Cola Company Canada Lottery award. Please expedite actions as the rightful winner, as the administrative overheads statement account valued added balance sheet have been issued in your favor. $10,000,000.00 USD Payment notification from Royal Bank Of Canada (RBC).
Below are details of the Royal Bank Of Canada (RBC) non resident account that opened on behalf of your personal name:
Account Number: 6021253365.
Swift Code: 239936957
Routing # 053904483
We wait your immediate response with your information below to enable this bank proceeds immediately with the delivery of your Royal Bank Of Canada (RBC) Checking Account Booklet and Royal Bank Of Canada (RBC) Platinum MasterCard.
Full name .........
Alternative email address:.....
David I Mckay
The President and CEO.
Royal Bank Of Canada (RBC).
Head Office Location Address: 200 Bay Street,
Royal Bank Plaza,
Toronto, ON, CA, M5J 2J5.