fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "inheritance funds" (a common phrase found in 419 scams)
- "00,000.00" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists mobile phone numbers. Use of such numbers is typical for scams because they allow criminals to conceal their true location. They can receive calls in an Internet cafe from where they send you emails, while pretending to be in some office.
Fraud email example:
From: "Klyson Brewton" (may be fake)
Date: Sun, 19 Mar 2017 06:55:53 +0100
Subject: Important Notification Reply Asap.
From: British Government Payment Board & UK Treasury
Address: Unit 1, Horse Guards Rd, London SW1A 2HQ, UK
Phone: + 44 20 7270 5000.
Our Ref: UK-GOV/INT/PAYXXV1//011/2017.
Your Ref....... XX401HMCS-UK( MT103N)
I wish to use this medium to inform you that you have been approved for compensation payment from the office of Prime Minister Theresa May regarding your unpaid
CONTRACT/INHERITANCE funds valued at £ 17,300,000.00 GBP (Seventeen Million Three Hundred British Pounds ).
Note, British Government Funds Monitoring Unit is working around the clock to ensure that your unpaid fund is released to you successfully via Standard Charted Bank.
19 Great Winchester St, London EC2N 2BH United Kingdom
Furthermore be informed that the new Prime Minister (Theresa May ) authorized this committee to investigate and conclude official review on all fixed time deposits and
coded domiciliary account in banks within the United Kingdom that has not been operational for the past 2 / 8 years, I wish to notify you that further into our review
we verified that you are among the list of unpaid beneficiaries, thus you have been approved to receive your payment within 72hours or before the end of March 2017.
After our meeting yesterday your Payment Gazette diskette was forwarded to Uk Foreign Debt Payment Commission and ( BBA ) British bankers association for immediate
release of your funds to you via wire transfer from STANDARD CHARTERED BANK Or through CASH PLUS ATM INTER -SWITCH CARD, as an easy medium to ensure that you finally
receive your overdue funds, The approved sum has been programmed to be released to you upon your response to this letter as We have made several attempts to contact
you and find out if you are still alive and pay you but, all effort failed.
Please ensure to confirm your identity with your payment reference number: XX401HMCS-UK( MT103N) confirming you as original beneficiary of £ 17,300,000.00 GBP, with
standard chartered Bank London. For further instructions on the release and crediting to your receiving bank account within 72hrs
Your urgent communication will be highly appreciated Thanks,
1. Your Full Names.........
2. Current Address..........
3. Current Phone Numbers....
5. Copy Of Your Identification.......
Commissioner Klyson Brewton
British Government Funds Monitoring Unit.
This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.