fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- email@example.com (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
Fraud email example:
From: "Mrs. Doris A Jordan" <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Date: Sun, 19 Mar 2017 02:34:32 -0600
Subject: REPLY ASAP!!
My quest to locate a responsible person to bring my dreams to a reality, hence l took this bold step to contact you through this medium and I would not like you to take an offense that l am bothering you since you do not know me neither have we met before. I am Mrs. Doris A Jordan from England, United Kingdom; wife to the late Gerald Jordan, I have no family no kids, I lost my husband and my only two kids in a motor accident five years ago it's so sad for me right now, I am very ill with cancer and my doctors says I have short time to live, I have decided to give my wealth to an honest person that will use it to do charity work. I have being suffering from cancer for years now and just recently, my doctor diagnosed me and told me I will not live more than next three months. Having known this, I have to sell all my properties which amounted about $18.5million which have been deposited with a Bank here in Europe.
I have decided to donate this fund to charity, orphanage or an individual that will utilize this money in a godly way. I want an individual that will use this fund for charity, orphanages and widows etc. I took this decision because I don't have any child that will inherit this fund. As I do not want a situation whereby this money will be used in an ungodly manner, Hence the reasons of taking this bold decision. I am not afraid of death because l have lived a fulfilled life. As it is right now, I don't need any telephone communication in this regard because of my health condition and will want our dealing to be on email conversation. I will give you all the details and directives on how to claim the fund as soon as I receive your reply on this my private email
N.B: Please note that any delay in your reply will give me room to sourcing for another person. please reply to my privet email( email@example.com)
Mrs. Doris A Jordan