fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "from the desk of" (a common phrase found in 419 scams)
- "atm card department" (this phrase is often used in the ATM card payment scam)
- "swift card payment center" (this phrase is often used in the ATM card payment scam)
- "card center will send you an atm card" (this phrase is often used in the ATM card payment scam)
- "foreign payment department" (Banks mentioned in 419 scams are always fake (real banks don't communicate using mobile phones or free webmail addresses))
- "federal republic of benin" (Benin, Cameroon, etc. are no Federal Republics, unlike Nigeria where this type of scam was invented)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists mobile phone numbers. Use of such numbers is typical for scams because they allow criminals to conceal their true location. They can receive calls in an Internet cafe from where they send you emails, while pretending to be in some office.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- email@example.com (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
Fraud email example:
From: CHARLES ICE <"BANK."@lagoon.ocn.ne.jp>
Reply-To: UBA BANK <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Date: Sun, 19 Mar 2017 20:43:51 +0900 (JST)
Subject: YOUR UBA ATM MASTER CARD IS READY FOR DELIVERY
FROM THE DESK OF MR.Charles Ice
DIRECTOR ATM CARD DEPARTMENT
UBA BANK PLC FEDERAL REPUBLIC OF BENIN WEST AFRICA.
OUR REF:U.B./MF/B01/Vol 01
ATTENTION : ATM MASTER CARD OWNER,
WE HERE BY NOTIFYING YOU THAT UBA BANK PLC HAVE BEEN MANDATED TO ISSUE
OUT YOUR PAYMENT OF $10.5MILLION USD THROUGH ATM CARD . YOU HAVE TO
STOP FURTHER COMMUNICATION WITH ANY OTHER PERSON(S) OR OFFICE(S) OR
MINISTRY OF FINANCE AFRICA TO AVOID HITCHES IN RECEIVING YOUR ATM CARD
UBA BANK MANAGER HAVE CONFIRMED AUTOMATION OF YOUR SWIFT PAYMENT
THROUGH AN ELECTRONIC ATM CARD PAYMENT. THE BANK HAVE ARRANGED YOUR
PAYMENT THROUGH SWIFT CARD PAYMENT CENTER ASIA PACIFIC THIS CARD
CENTER WILL SEND YOU AN ATM CARD WHICH YOU WILL USE TO WITHDRAW YOUR
MONEY IN ANY ATM MACHINE IN ANY PART OF THE WORLD . THE MAXIMUM DAILY
WITHDRAWAL IS $5,000USD PER DAY. A TOTAL OF $5,000USD AT A TIME . NOW
YOU ARE TO TAKE CARE OF YOUR FUND BY CONTACTING THE BANK TODAY. THIS
IS A SPECIAL ARRANGEMENT IN COLLABORATION WITH MASTER CARD COMPANY
KINDLY CONTACT THE BELOW PERSON WHO IS IN POSITION TO RELEASE YOUR ATM
PAYMENT CARD TO YOU. YOU ARE REQUESTED TO FORWARD TO Director UBA BANK MR JESSEY MORRIS CHARLES
FOR IMMEDIATE MAILING OF THE ATM CARD TO YOUR ADDRESS.
FOR MORE ENQIRIES (+12028529783)
TEXT ONLY FOR SAFE DELIVERY
CONTACT FOREIGN PAYMENT DEPARTMENT
UBA BANK BENIN REPUBLIC
NOTE THAT BECAUSE OF IMPOSTORS THE (UBA BANK) HEREBY ISSUED YOU OUR
CODE OF CONDUCT WHICH IS ATM-33xzs SO YOU HAVE TO INDICATE THIS CODE
WHEN CONTACTING THE BANK ON THE CARD CENTER BY USING IT AS YOUR
SUBJECT. KINDLY NOTIFY (UBA BANK) MR JESSEY MORRIS CHARLES IMMEDIATELY TO CONFIRM THE RECEIPT
OF THIS MASSAGE FROM THE UBA BANK PLC.
HEAD OF ATM DEPT 411