fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "you are advice to " (this email uses bad English)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- firstname.lastname@example.org (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
Fraud email example:
From: "Dr.Grant Morgan" (may be fake)
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2017 01:31:18 -0700
Subject: INHERITANCE FUND VALUED OF $10.5M
Debt Reconciliation Department ,
UNITED NATIONS PAYMENT NOTIFICATION
U.S.A GOVERNMENT, WORLD BANK AND UNITED NATIONS ORGANIZATION OFFICIAL HAS APPROVED TO PAY YOU PART PAYMENT OF YOUR INHERITANCE FUND VALUED OF $10.5 MILLION.
THE BRITISH PRIME MINISTER IN CONJUNCTION WITH U.S.A GOVERNMENT, WORLD BANK AND UNITED NATIONS ORGANIZATION DO HEREBY GIVE THIS IRREVOCABLE APPROVAL ORDER WITH THIS RELEASE CODE: GNC/3480/08/17 IN YOUR FAVOR FOR YOUR CONTRACT ENTITLEMENT AND YOUR INHERITANCE FUND WHICH YOU HAVE NOT RECEIVED YET, NOW IT WAS APPROVED BY THE WORLD BANK, THAT YOUR CONTRACT/INHERITANCE FUND SHOULD BE RELEASED THROUGH OCBC BANK LONDON . SO YOU ARE ADVISED TO PRESENT ANY OF YOUR CHOICE, ON HOW YOU WANT TO RECEIVE YOUR FUND, EITHER BY ATM CARD OR WIRE TRANSFER, SO IN REGARDS TO THE TRANSFER YOU CAN PROVIDE ANY OF YOUR BANK ACCOUNT DETAILS FOR THE TRANSFER OF YOUR FUND WITH OUT DELAY. I AM CONTACTING YOU IN REGARDS TO THE INSTRUCTION GIVEN BY UNITED NATIONS, PLEASE I WILL URGE YOU TO TRY AND INDICATE ON HOW YOU WANT YOUR FUND TO BE RELEASED TO YOU FROM THE TWO OPTIONS ABOVE.NOW YOUR NEW PAYMENT, UNITED NATIONS APPROVAL NO; UN5685P, WHITE HOUSE APPROVED NO: WH44CV, REFERENCE NO.-3455432 ALLOCATION NO!
: 566433 PASSWORD NO: 445334, PIN
HAVING RECEIVED THESE VITAL PAYMENT NUMBER, THEREFORE YOU ARE QUALIFIED NOW TO RECEIVED AND CONFIRM YOUR PAYMENT WITH THE OCBC BANK LONDON IMMEDIATELY WITHIN THE NEXT 72HRS. AS A MATTER OF FACT, YOU ARE REQUIRED TO DEAL AND COMMUNICATE ONLY WITH MR. MARK EDWARD, TELEX DEPARTMENT OF OCBC BANK LONDON ,WITH THE HELP OF MONITORY TEAM FROM THE FEDERAL RESERVE BANK NEW YORK WHICH IS OUR OFFICIAL REMITTING BANK, COMMITTEE ON FOREIGN PAYMENT MATTERS IN UNITED NATIONS, HAS LOOK UP TO MAKE SURE YOU RECEIVE YOUR FUND. SO CONTACT: MR. MARK EDWARD FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE OF YOUR CONTRACT/INHERITANCE/AWARD WINNING CLAIM ,BE INFORMED THAT YOU ARE TO FORWARD YOUR BANKING INFORMATION AS SHOWN BELLOW .
1) YOUR FULL NAME:
2) ADDRESS, CITY, STATE AND COUNTRY:
3) PERSONAL CELL PHONE, FAX AND MOBILE:
4) COMPANY NAME (IF ANY) POSITION AND ADDRESS:
5) BANK NAME:
6) BANK ADDRESS:
7) ACCOUNT NUMBER:
8) ROUTING NUMBER OR SWIFT CODE NO:
9) OCCUPATION, AGE AND MARITAL STATUS:
10) COPY OF YOUR INT'L PASSPORT/DRIVERS LICENSE:
NOTE: YOUR PERSONAL CONTACT/COMMUNICATION CODE WITH MR. MARK EDWARD IS (UNX117), YOU ARE ADVICE TO SEND YOUR FULL BANKING INFORMATION TO MR. MARK EDWARD, TELEX DEPARTMENT OF OCBC BANK LONDON AND MAKE SURE YOU SPEAK WITH HIM, WITH YOUR NEW PAYMENT CODE FOR THE RELEASE OF YOUR PAYMENT AND SEND YOUR BANKING INFORMATION TO HIM .
CONTACT PERSON: MR. MARK EDWARD
POSITION: TELEX DEPARTMENT OF OCBC BANK LONDON
DR. GRANT MORGAN
(Chairman Committee On Foreign Contract And Inheritance fund
Payment Notification from United Nations And USA Government.)