fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "courier company" (Courier companies mentioned in 419 scams are always fake. They will have you send money to them, but won't deliver anything. )
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
Fraud email example:
From: Lucy Tamlyn <email@example.com>
Reply-To: Lucy Tamlyn <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2017 15:55:39 +0900 (JST)
Subject: Re: Received Your Atm Card Package
Hours of Operation
Monday to Thursday: 8:00 A.M - 5:00 P.M
Friday to Saturday: 10:15 A.M - 1:30 P.M
Deposit NO.: 405576
Arrival Code: CDS-101-PL16
Content: Personal Items
Service Schedule: Door Step
Good morning dear
I wire to inform you that a package contained atm card and it documentations was brought to my office by a courier Agent for safe keeping yesterday evening. Above information was placed on the package in your name and now waiting for a confirmation from you before we can schedule the delivery to your address. Meanwhile, you should stop every further communication to other person or courier company regarding delivery of your atm card because is now under my care to mail safely to your address through ambassadorial root pending your immediate response with your valid information to crosscheck our schedule list and avoid any wrongful delivery. So you should provide the following
1. Your full name......
2. Current home address.....
3. Direct phone Number.......
4. A copy of your ID Card.....
Once we receive your above, I will submit them to our legal department for verification and schedule delivery of your atm card package and then get with the tracking number of your package.
Kindly send your response by e-mail as soon as you read this message as I anticipate your urgent respond.
Thanks & Sincerely Yours,
Mrs. Lucy Tamlyn