fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "cost of transfer" (this will cost you money - be careful with upfront payments to anyone you only know through email, especially if they promise you a lot of money. NEVER send money by Western Union or MoneyGram to people you do not know personally - NO EXCEPTIONS! Instant wire transfer services are not meant to be used with strangers because they offer no protection against fraud. That is precisely why the criminals want you send money that way. )
- "transfer of your funds" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- ",000,000" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "00,000.00" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
Fraud email example:
From: "BOA" <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2017 19:03:53 -0500
Subject: Dear esteemed customer, PLS CONTACT BANK OF AMERICA
Bank of America Corporate Office Headquarters
100 N.Tryon St Charlotte,NC 28255
United States of America
Monday-Friday 8 a.m.-9 p.m. Eastern Daylight Time(EDT)
Saturday and Sunday 8 a.m.-4 p.m. Eastern Daylight Time(EDT)
Dear esteemed customer, PLS CONTACT BANK OF AMERICA
CUSTOMER CARE +1-607-235-2165
The Management of the Bank of America Corporate Office Brownsville: 505
Main St., Brownsville, WI 53006-0283 wishes to inform you that
after a brief meeting held by the Bank executives on, the 16th Day of
January 2017 at precisely 8 a.m. Eastern Daylight Time(EDT), we deem
it appropriate to intimate you that your funds will be transferred
into the United States Treasury Account with the JP Morgan Chase
Headquarters at 270 Park Avenue in New York according to the record we
got from Africa due to your inability to complete the transaction and
your failure to meet up with a minor payment obligation.The actual
transfer of your funds($15,000,000.00) into the government account
comes up next week.
This is in line with the instructions of the USA Treasurer, Mrs.Rosa
Gumataotao Rios that all unclaimed funds be paid into the United
States Government Treasury Account as unserviceable funds in
compliance to section 3 subsection 1(a) of the United States Financial
Law enacted in 2001 after an attack on our dear country on September
Find below the profile of the banking institution where your funds
will be transferred into following the government directive at our
head office in New York:
Name of Bank: JP Morgan Chase Headquarters at 270 Park Avenue in New York.
JP Morgan Chase Official Bankers for the United States Treasury Department
AC NO: 68302345093
Account Name:United States Treasury Department,USA
Note that if you still wish to receive your funds do get back to us
immediately so that we will remove your funds transfer from the list
of those transactions to be seized by the United States Government.Also be informed that we need only a TRANSFER to complete the wire transfer.The TRANSFER CHARGE was reduced From $550 to $300
and no other fee is involved.You are required to send the fee of $300.
payment details will be sent to you in respond to this vital information from this honorable bank.
If we receive the cost of transfer (C.O.T) today,we will transfer your funds ($15,000,000.00) before we close office and the funds will reflect 3 hours after the transfer.We will send you all the transfer documents to enable you start making cash withdrawals from your bank account same day the funds are transferred.We have waited for so long and we cannot
continue to wait.
Thank you for giving us the opportunity to serve your banking needs.
TEXT OR CALL DIRECT LINE +1-607-235-2165
Bank of America®
Corporate Office Headquarters,Charlotte,N.C.
Bank of America, N.A. Member FDIC.