fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "the consignment" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "trunk box" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "consignment " (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "trunk boxes" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "contact the diplomat" ("diplomats" who perform deliveries of cash or other valuables to you only exist in 419 scams)
- "the diplomat " ("diplomats" who perform deliveries of cash or other valuables to you only exist in 419 scams)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
Fraud email example:
From: Williams Abbas <email@example.com>
Reply-To: Williams Abbas <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Date: Fri, 7 Apr 2017 13:40:08 +0000 (UTC)
Subject: Very Urgently
I and my younger sister write to seek for your assistance; I want to introduce myself to you properly. My name is William Abbas and Judith Abbas, my consignment trunk Boxes contains the sum of millions dollars and some quantity of gold and Diamond respectively, which I cannot be specific about. The consignments are presently in a security company.
The consignment trunk Boxes got to the security company through the help of Mr. Bruce Monty who was the former beneficiary to this consignment through the Delivery of A Governmental U.N diplomat Dr. Johnny Jackson aka Diplomat JJ who is presently in London making the delivery there and The fact is that Dr. Johnny Jackson is supposed have delivered this consignments to the Canadian called Mr. Bruce Monty in Istanbul.
The week Dr. Johnny Jackson is suppose to deliver the consignments to him, when he got to Istanbul after clearing the consignment trunk Boxes from the Airport, he call Mr. Bruce Monty to meet him in his hotel for the delivery, but is wife answered the call and told Dr. Johnny Jackson that her husband Mr. Bruce Monty had a fatal car accident which has led to his death some few hours later.
Please I and my little sister seek for your help to Contact the Diplomat so that he can be able to deliver the Consignments to you. I do want you to instruct him that you have discuses this with us, and you want him to carry out the delivery of our consignments to you on time now.
I await to receive your urgent response with your direct mobile number to enable me forward to you all the legal documents backing up the delivery to you as our appointed trustee and if you are interested, kindly provide your full details and your cell phone number and remember that this is not a scam, but legitimate offer and You will be entitle to 40 % 50 % for me and 10 % to defray all cost.
If you are interested, please contact me by this email:
God Bless you,