fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "god fearing " (scammers in West Africa like to use religious phrases)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- firstname.lastname@example.org (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
Fraud email example:
From: "REV BERRACK EMEL" (may be fake)
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2017 15:41:16 -0700
Godbless you my beloved,
Do not be amazed on how i got your email in the course of my quest today for an honest and God fearing person. I decided to embarke on this because i believe good people still exists and also an honest one. Before i proceed, I will first intoduce myself, my name is Rev sis Berrack Emel from Istanbul, Turkey. I have decided to donate what i have to a good and reliable person who will act according to my wishes. I am 67years old and i am suffering from Lungs cancer for about two years now. i have been ordered by God to donate all i have inherited from my late father and my career to you for the promotion of God work, rather than to allow my uncle to use my fathers hard earned funds ungodly.
I will be undergoing an operation in Australia and my doctor imformed me that my chances of survival is slim due to my excessive health deterioration. Because of this i want to donate my funds worth 9,150,000Euros to you. It is deposited in a secured bank in turkey and i want it to be invested for the good work of God, the orphange, the needy and to help the motherless. My personal doctor have told me that i may not live for than two months and i am scared ad concerned about it since i have njo child of my own as my spiritula obligation does not permit me to marry. But through this wonderful bilble verses, Psalm 119:116......, Uphold me according unto thy word that i may live and let me not be ashamed of my hope. Psalm 138:7 Thou i walk in the midst of trouble, thou will revive me. Psalm 41:1....., Blessed is he that considered the poor, the lord will deliver him in time of trouble, I find peace in the lord ( I always recite this on my mind)
Presently, i have informed my lawyer about my decision to will this fund to a trusted and honest person and also my spiritualist Rev Fr Timothy Coleman.
Respond back to immediately if you are interested to carry out this task so that i will instruct you on how to get in contact with my lawyer and my account officer. Get back to me via ny private email address(Berrackemel5@gmail.com) with the following information
YOUR PHONE NO:
Rev Sis Berrack Emel