fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "money gram" (this will cost you money - be careful with upfront payments to anyone you only know through email, especially if they promise you a lot of money. NEVER send money by Western Union or MoneyGram to people you do not know personally - NO EXCEPTIONS! Instant wire transfer services are not meant to be used with strangers because they offer no protection against fraud. That is precisely why the criminals want you send money that way. )
- "mtcn" (this will cost you money - be careful with upfront payments to anyone you only know through email, especially if they promise you a lot of money. NEVER send money by Western Union or MoneyGram to people you do not know personally - NO EXCEPTIONS! Instant wire transfer services are not meant to be used with strangers because they offer no protection against fraud. That is precisely why the criminals want you send money that way. )
- "cotonou" (a location commonly mentioned in 419 scams)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- MoneyGram money transfer is completely untraceable and therefore is *not* safe to use with anyone you do not know personally. Along with Western Union it is a preferred method of online criminals to collect money from their victims.
Fraud email example:
From: " WOODFOREST NATIONAL BANK" <"www."@hop.ocn.ne.jp>
Reply-To: " WOODFOREST NATIONAL BANK" <email@example.com>
Date: Sun, 30 Apr 2017 19:23:48 +0900 (JST)
Subject: WOODFOREST NATIONAL BANK
THE OFFICER IN CHARGE UPS
Delivery Company CHATTANOOGA
Good Morning, my Name is MR Jackie Thompson a the office in charge UPS Delivery Express Services here in CHATTANOOGA TENNESSEE 37416 . This is to inform you that we have received a package containing an ATM card from Mr.Ben s. Bernanke the Chairman Federal Reserve Board New York and we have been instructed to Deliver the package to you without any further delay again as the International Monetary Fund IMF have instructed. Meanwhile i am very happy to let you know that the Delivery fee of your package has been paid by the Bank Federal Reserve Board New York City NY Branch were your Fund was approved so you don't have to pay for any Delivery fee again, the only thing remaining right now is the (insurance Coverage fee and the Singing Stamp) of your package which you are to settle to the approved receiver Agent New York as the Authorities have Authorized before your package will be Delivered to you. Note that we can not take the Risk of Delivering your package to you without insuring it because we can not afford to pay for any lost or Damage in the process of Delivering your package to you, try and understand the situation at hand. However The tracking number of your package will be issued to you as soon as we receive the (insurance Coverage and the Singing/Stamp) fee of $$97,Dollars.00 from you, so You are here by advised to proceed to use Money Gram and send the (insurance Coverage fee and the Singing / Stamp) to our receiving branch Head Office in NEW YORK, to enable us proceed with the final Delivery to your Door Step, Below is the information to send the (insurance Coverage fee and the Singing /Stamp) of $97,Dollars.00 Via Money Gram Transfer or Money Gram, bear in mind that all you will ever have to spend to received this Fund is $97,Dollars.00 Dollars Nothing more Nothing less.
Receiver$B!G(Bs name: JOHN MIKE
TEST QUESTION: IN GOD
TEST ANSWER: WE TRUST
Then get back to us with below information.
Your Sender Name.........
Your Sender telephone number..........
Take note that you will have to stop communication with every other person if
you have been in contact with any. Also remember that all you will ever have to
spend is $77,Dollars, nothing more! Nothing less! And we Guarantee the receipt of your
Fund to be successfully Delivered to you within the next 9hrs after
receipt of the fee of $97,Dollars USD only.
Note: Everything has been taken care of, including Taxes, Custom Paper and
Clearance Duty. So, all you will ever need to pay is $97,Dollars Dollars Only.
Note that you can Withdrawal Money from your international ATM Debit/Master
from any ATM Machine Location or Center of your Choice/Nearest to you in any
part of the world. Please kindly Reconfirm the following Details Below to
avoid any Wrong Delivery over this Transaction,
Be advised that this is the only delay we have now and you must do what you can
to comply with the fee so that we can get this done Today or Tomorrow Morning,
so do get back to us when you have send the fee as well,
Your package will be sent to you upon confirmation receipt of the Delivery fee.
We are so sure of everything and we are giving you a 100% money back Guarantee
if you do not receive payment/package within the next 2hrs after you have made
the payment for shipping.
Forward The Money Gram Mtcn And Also The Senders Information To This Office
Once The Payment Is Made So That We Can Get Your Package Insured And Proceed
With The Delivery Of Your Package To Your Door Steps. View the attachment to
this urgent latter is my Working ID Card for your confirmation.
Reply back to us accordingly; we wait for your expedite response.
MR Jackie Thompson
UPS Delivery Company Service
International Operations Division.
Company CHATTANOOGA TENNESSEE 37416