fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "western union" (this will cost you money - be careful with upfront payments to anyone you only know through email, especially if they promise you a lot of money. NEVER send money by Western Union or MoneyGram to people you do not know personally - NO EXCEPTIONS! Instant wire transfer services are not meant to be used with strangers because they offer no protection against fraud. That is precisely why the criminals want you send money that way. )
- "money gram" (this will cost you money - be careful with upfront payments to anyone you only know through email, especially if they promise you a lot of money. NEVER send money by Western Union or MoneyGram to people you do not know personally - NO EXCEPTIONS! Instant wire transfer services are not meant to be used with strangers because they offer no protection against fraud. That is precisely why the criminals want you send money that way. )
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- Western Union money transfer is completely untraceable and therefore is *not* safe to use with anyone you do not know personally. It is the preferred method of online criminals to collect money from their victims.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- email@example.com (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
Fraud email example:
From: "Evaluation Team" (may be fake)
Date: Fri, 7 Apr 2017 00:42:00 +0100
Subject: RE: Regional Shopper
POSITION TITLE: Regional Shopper
START DATE: Immediate
COMMISSION: $250.00 Per Survey
ABOUT US: Warehouse evaluation Inc is a market research company that uses Shopping or Consuming to measure the quality of service rendered or gather specific information about products and services. We work with some of the largest, reputable businesses in the world; from Fast Food to Petroleum, Technology or Fashion Retailers and more.
JOB DESCRIPTION & RESPONSIBILITIES: You will be hired to conduct an all expense paid survey and evaluation exercise . As our shopper posing as normal customers, you will be expected to perform specific tasks such as purchasing a product or using a service. Your job will be to evaluate and measure quality of retail service or gather specific information about products and services. We presently have a couple of outstanding contracts, which means you will visit various stores and outlets in your area and pretend to be an average customer. While you are there, you will secretly evaluate things like their customer service, store cleanliness and quality of service rendered. When you're done, submit your shoppers report to us via e-mail and get paid for your opinion.
Some of the simple questions in your Shoppers Report will be:
* How well were you treated?
* Were the employees friendly and courteous?
* Did you receive prompt service?
* Was the merchandise displayed neatly?
* Would you return to this store / restaurant?
* Was it easy to use to use the service?
That's all that is to it! The answers to these kind of questions are extremely valuable to any business - and they are willing to pay top dollar to find out what consumers really think. You'll be providing important information that will be used to improve the quality of businesses everywhere. You will be provided with funds in advance for any upcoming survey via Checks to cover expenses. Where will I be shopping? The companies we deal with mostly represent large chain stores and popular franchise with hundreds and thousands of locations across the country. They are stores, services and restaurants like:
* Money Gram
* Western Union
* Ace Hardware
* Best Buys
Special skills are not required for this opening. However, in order to apply for this job you must ensure you have access to your e-mail at least twice daily and must read and respond to our notifications.
If you would like to be considered for assignments, please fill out the Application below if you are interested.
Address Line 1:
Address Line 2:
Home Phone Number:
Cell / Mobile Phone Number:
PLEASE NOTE: ALL APPLICATIONS MUST BE SENT TO:
I hope to hear from you soon.