fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "the diplomat " ("diplomats" who perform deliveries of cash or other valuables to you only exist in 419 scams)
- "barrister" (Barristers (lawyers) mentioned in 419 scams are always fake.)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- Barristers (lawyers) mentioned in 419 scams are always fake.
Fraud email example:
From: "Barrister Eze." (may be fake)
Date: Wed, 3 May 2017 12:46:36 -0300
How are you today, I must let you know that I am so sorry for all the
delay,Now i want to inform you the Good News that i receive from the Bank
Director Yesterday I went down to the Bank that want to transfer our fund
into the Account you send to me, I told them that the transfer charges
they ask us to pay is not with us,
And the Bank director told me that he can only help us in this way but he
will get some share of the money after you receive it to your position,and
I have no choice than to allow him to help us fast,
So The Bank director told me that he will move the fund to your country
with they Bank Diplomat to come and meet you in your country for you to
receive the funds and he said that after you receive it you will have to
give the Diplomat their own share to come Back to him immediately and the
Bank director told me i should let you know that the money you will gave
to the diplomat will be the sum of $70.000 after you receive the found
from the diplomat, So he told me that the diplomat will move by tomorrow
or next week Monday to come and meet you in your country, and when the
diplomat arrive he will call you on your contact phone number to let you
know that is already arrive,
And send a copy of your photo or working id card or drivers lances to
me,again please this is very urgent,
below is information
So please the Bank Director said that you should send your correct full
address and phone number to your next mail to me so that I will proceed
with your full details to the Bank immediately,
Barrister Chika Eze