fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "consignment " (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "courier service" (Courier companies mentioned in 419 scams are always fake. They will have you send money to them, but won't deliver anything. )
- "courier company" (Courier companies mentioned in 419 scams are always fake. They will have you send money to them, but won't deliver anything. )
- "cotonou" (a location commonly mentioned in 419 scams)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists mobile phone numbers. Use of such numbers is typical for scams because they allow criminals to conceal their true location. They can receive calls in an Internet cafe from where they send you emails, while pretending to be in some office.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- firstname.lastname@example.org (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
Fraud email example:
From: "Mr Gurge.Stanly" <"www."@triton.ocn.ne.jp>
Reply-To: "Mr Gurge.Stanly" <email@example.com>
Date: Thu, 4 May 2017 06:07:04 +0900 (JST)
Subject: ATTENTION ATTENTION Tel: +229-9968-1308
DHL COURIER COMPANY
Address: 226/41 Midombo
ATTENTION ATTENTION Tel: +229-9968-1308
NOTIFICATION OF YOUR CONSIGNMENT BOX D.H.L COURIER SERVICE BENIN REPUBLIC.
This is to officially inform you that we have verified your contract file
presently on my desk Your consignment box of $2.500.000.00 USD has been approved
and was deposited with DHL delivery company this morning for registration,
and we agreed up that the delivery of Your $2.500.000.00 Million USD.
Package will take off tomorrow morning .So contact with your full information
where you want your consignment box to be delivered to you,
(1)YOUR FULL NAME
(2)MOBILE PHONE NUMBER
(3)CURRENT HOME ADDRESS
(7)NEAREST AIRPORT =
(8)A COPY OF YOUR I D FOR IDENTIFICATION.
Urgent,get back to us today with your full address where your consignment box
will be delivered to, because i will not be in the office next week.
Contact email(firstname.lastname@example.org)The amount in your box is $2.500.000.0 Million,
all you have to do now is to reply us immediately for easy delivery and make sure you didn$B!G(Bt do any mistake
to avoid wrong delivery. And Mr,Robert.s.Mueller will depart Benin
Republic with your consignment without Any mistake and once he get to the airport he will call you or send you an
email, to Know if you at home, thank you very much for being on our service.
From DHL courier delivery company
Benin republic.call at anytime, Tel: +229-9968-1308