fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "clear source of funds certificate" ("anti-terrorist", "anti-money laundering" or "drug-free" certificates are a common way for criminals in fake lottery scams and other Advance Fee scams to get you to send money to them. There are no such certificates in the real banking world. )
- "certificates of origin of funds" ("anti-terrorist", "anti-money laundering" or "drug-free" certificates are a common way for criminals in fake lottery scams and other Advance Fee scams to get you to send money to them. There are no such certificates in the real banking world. )
- "hundred thousand united states dollars" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "courier service" (Courier companies mentioned in 419 scams are always fake. They will have you send money to them, but won't deliver anything. )
- "cotonou" (a location commonly mentioned in 419 scams)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists mobile phone numbers. Use of such numbers is typical for scams because they allow criminals to conceal their true location. They can receive calls in an Internet cafe from where they send you emails, while pretending to be in some office.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- email@example.com (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
Fraud email example:
From: "Karl Patric" <"www."@cup.ocn.ne.jp>
Reply-To: "Karl Patric" <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Date: Thu, 4 May 2017 22:08:02 +0900 (JST)
Subject: INSTRUCTION TO DELIVER YOUR $9.6M USD ATM CARD PACKAGE
Banques Avenue Pape Jean Paul,
Cotonou, Benin 01 BP 2023 Cotonou Benin
+229 686 563 47
ATM Visa Card Valued Customer
This is to inform you that your Compensation Total Funds $9.6 Million Six Hundred Thousand United States Dollars, has been credited/loaded into ATM Visa Card and your Card is ready and available at our UBA BANK Headquarter office for urgent collection. Your credited/loaded into ATM Visa Card will be mail to your house address as soon as you contact us with your house address information were your Card parcel will be delivered into.Meanwhile To withdraw cash at the ATM, insert your card into the machine and enter your PIN. Select the type of Account the card is linked to make a withdrawal and enter the amount of cash you want to withdraw Then take your cash, card, and receipt to keep track of your balance.
Please when you insert your ATM card into the machine and enter your 4 digit PIN number, Simply Select Current Account to withdraw the amount you requested. Note, your ATM Visa Card has been final activated for good use and Here is your Card 4 digit activated PIN number (2208) to withdraw Your cash any time any day. you can still change your PIN Code upon receiving your ATM Visa Card Parcel from the Courier Service agent.Please contact us Asap for your ATM Visa Card collection and send your delivering information were your package will be delivered into by courier service agent and as soon as we receive your house address information your package will be shipped directly to your destination pickup address.
1.YOUR FULL NAME___________________
2.YOUR HOME ADDRESS______________________
3.YOUR CURRENT HOME TELEPHONE NUMBER_______________
4.YOUR CURRENT OFFICE TELEPHONE_______________
5.A COPY OF YOUR PICTURE OR DRIVER LICENSE______________
Please note that your ATM card is well packaged and cannot be opened because it was protected with a hard cover of an insurance policy which makes it impossible for it to be used by any individual except you the rightful beneficiary
DESCRIPTION OF PARCEL:
ATM card/original certificate of weight :- - -1.20kg
Bonded draft of weight :- - - - - - - - - 1.17kg
Total weight of parcel :- - - - - - - - - - 3.37kg
Color of Parcel :- - - - - - - - - - - - - - Dark Red
Length of days :- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -48hours
Your parcel contains the following documents:
1.Visa CARD VALUED THE SUM OF $9.600.000.00
2.CLEAR SOURCE OF FUNDS CERTIFICATES(C.S.F.C.)
3.CERTIFICATES OF ORIGIN OF FUNDS(C.O.F.)
4. ANTI DRUG CERTIFICATE ( A.D.C.)
These documents have been securely sealed and packed for security reasons which makes it impossible for anyone to use the card except you the beneficiary. Upon arrival of your package, Kindly present ID Card to the Courier Service agent for pickup.
Foreign Operations Manager
+229 686 563 47.