fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following fake company names, fake addresses, non-existent institutions/documents or other details have appeared in scams before:
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "million us dollars" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "diplomatic delivery" ("diplomats" who perform deliveries of cash or other valuables to you only exist in 419 scams)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
Fraud email example:
From: "theresa" (may be fake)
Date: Thu, 18 May 2017 23:00:36 +0200
Subject: REAL ESTATE PROJECT
Peace of almighty God be with you and your family , I contacted you after making intentive reseach through web site and my name is Theresa Toddy Wolfgand, i am 38 year old from Royal Thialand German family , i am working with Red Cross Humanitarian Team here in Idlib , Syria for 2 year contract and I want you to know that this transaction is my life and I need your Cooperation, Understanding and most important is Trust.
I am interested into the Real estate investment or construction of building and any other profitable business you can help manage because as I write you now ,we are having problem now in Humanitarian Aid camp in Syria due to the Evacuation of Rebels and i have $12.2 million US dollars that I successfully moved out of my location, I need a good, honest partner and someone I can trust if you can keep secret.
I am telling you as my dear, after my prayers in God and i believe should trust you with all open heart and hope you do the same. I have made arrangements with a delivery agent service that will move the above fund as my family treasure and delivery to you through special Unicef diplomatic delivery agent.
The humanitarian situation in Syria is catastrophic and over 4 million interior refugees have lost their existence, other parts of the infrastructure are destroyed. 70% of all of the hospitals in Syria cant function anymore. Large relief organizations such as the International Red Cross do not reach the areas where the need is the greatest. However, the people are reliant on direct, unbureaucratic help.
The most important thing for me is if you can provide a confident expectation and once it's delivered to you, you can have 20% of the total value to yourself and i will come over to your country to see the profitable business investment, but the most important thing now is to secure the fund.
If you are competent to take care of this huge transaction in your country , I will be waiting to hear your advise and assistance .
Best regards .