fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "hundred thousand united state dollars" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- ",500,000" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "00,000.00" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "united state dollar" (this email uses bad English)
- "power of attorney" (with your bank details and a power of attorney form criminals sometimes empty bank accounts)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- Barristers (lawyers) mentioned in 419 scams are always fake.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- email@example.com (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
Fraud email example:
From: "Kathleen Lobell" (may be fake)
Date: Sun, 28 May 2017 06:29:33 -0700
Subject: Your credit payment file have been added and opened.
This information is from the National Association of Unclaimed Property Administrators NAUPA.
Your credit payment file have been added and opened.
The National Association of Unclaimed Property Administrators is the foremost authority on unclaimed property and the affirmed leader of the coalition of states, administrators, and holders working together to reunite rightful owners with their property.
The purpose of the association is to promote and strengthen unclaimed property administration and interstate cooperation in order to enhance States' return of unclaimed property to rightful owners and provide a forum for the open exchange of information and ideas.
A power of attorney was forwarded to our office this day Wednesday, May 4th, 2017 by two gentle men, one of them is an American national and his MR. HARRY SICILIANO by name while the other person is MR. JAMES IGNACIO MILLAN by name a CANADIAN national.
This gentlemen claimed to be your representative, and this power of attorney stated that you are dead, they brought an account to replace your information in other to claim your fund of $1,500,000.00 ( One Million Five Hundred Thousand United State Dollars ) which is now lying DORMANT and UNCLAIMED at the National Bank, below is the new account they have submitted:
BANK NAME: STANDARD CHARTERED BANK
BANK ADDRESS: 1095 AVENUE OF THE AMERICA NEW YORK CITY, NY 10036
ACCOUNT #: 00200000634 Numero de ABA
Be further informed that this power of attorney also stated that you suffered and died of throat cancer. therefore you are advise and given 48 hours to confirm the truth in this information, If you are still alive, You are to contact us back immediately because we work 24 hours just to ensure that we monitor all the activities going on in regards to the transfer of inheritance beneficiaries fund/contract payment.
You are to reply to this office below immediately for clarifications on this matter as we shall be available 24 hours to attend to you and give you the necessary guidelines and direction on how to ensure that your pending inheritance payment is wired to you immediately.
For Further Inquiries, please feel free to contact the direct email to the Financial Counselor Director Desk 'Hon. Louis Brown' firstname.lastname@example.org
(Financial Counselor Director)
Name: Hon. Louis Brown
Contact him now with: (1) Your full names, (2) Your contact Address, (3) Your mobile phone numbers, so he can guide you on receiving your funds. So therefore, we sincerely appeal with you to please find a reason to respond to this email with detailed information, as we would not be held responsible of wrong payment or face legal action in future in regard to your fund documentation.
National Association of Unclaimed Property Administrators
This message has been scanned for viruses and
dangerous content by Zenitech Anti-Virus System, and is
believed to be clean.